Dealing with Opossums and chickens

Thank you.

I just went to check on the trap to see if we caught anything… it’s almost midnight, so it’s been about 6 hours since I set the trap.

Nothing. The trap door was shut, and the can of tuna was flipped over! What could’ve happened? Did it escape?

View attachment 3022063
Can I see the front and side of the trap where the door closes?

possums are carriers of worms, which can be transmitted to your chickens. Even if the possum is just walking through your yard, if it stops to potty, you will have the worms in your yard. There to be eaten by your chickens and infest them, to getting on your feet or shoes to be tracked into your home. They do more damage than just eat eggs, chicks, full grown hens, and ticks.

possums are carriers of worms, which can be transmitted to your chickens. Even if the possum is just walking through your yard, if it stops to potty, you will have the worms in your yard. There to be eaten by your chickens and infest them, to getting on your feet or shoes to be tracked into your home. They do more damage than just eat eggs, chicks, full grown hens, and ticks.
One of my dogs brought in a dead baby possum covered in fleas so there's that.

Thank you.

I just went to check on the trap to see if we caught anything… it’s almost midnight, so it’s been about 6 hours since I set the trap.

Nothing. The trap door was shut, and the can of tuna was flipped over! What could’ve happened? Did it escape?

View attachment 3022063
oh man! How strange!! jeesh, Keep us updated. 🤞

Yesterday night I saw a possum making his way toward the coop. Luckily I stopped him by flashing my flashlight at him and he retreated.
Today, I saw him in the run, next to the coop opening, and he began to play dead. All the chickens are safe and sound.

He is playing dead, not moving, and not reacting to loud noises or anything like that.

How did I get him out of the run so that both he and I are safe?
He won’t budge.

How do I prevent opossums from coming back? I know they generally do not harm chickens, but I do not want to risk it.

When I first saw him, he had a bone in his mouth, probably from the chickens’ leftovers. He was going for the meat and bone left in the run, so luckily that distracted him a little bit so he didn’t get into the coop at all.

And advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 3001110
View attachment 3001111
View attachment 3001112

View attachment 3001113
@aart @azygous @U_Stormcrow
Not that I would ever advocate for it, or ever try it myself, but I read that opossums are very gentle beings and they actually would let somebody pick them up. It was about one that got injured and somebody went to rescue it and they just picked it up. And then the rescue workers discussed how they are able to do that with opossums. Again, I would not advocate for you to do it. I just thought it was an interesting article because I have never heard that before. Raccoons on the other hand….mean!

I showed my 3 year old niece the possum.. and shockingly, she drew this later that night.

DEF9C411-F4A8-4B4A-9F19-A58959CB8DC5.jpeg

*Face blotted out for privacy

Back
Top Bottom