Dealing with Rooster Spurs

Jeni1953

Chirping
Jul 29, 2018
Franklin Vermont
Prince Harry is very hard on the girls! Has anyone tried to cover the spurs with wire nuts? If so, how did it work? Do you have to take them off for a period? Any experience?

Both nails and spurs can do damage, depends on how long the spurs are, how sharp, straight or curved etc. Likewise with the nails. If a hen moves and/or he slips a spur can make a large wound. I just use large dog clippers and blunt the spurs so they are not sharp, and keep the nails trimmed if necessary. If spurs get too long then I trim so they don't get hung up on things or make it hard for them to walk. If the environment doesn't have materials that they can wear the nails down on by scratching around, then adding some flat concrete stepping stones can help a bit with keeping the nails worn down. I have them at the door from their covered run to the outside run so that they all have to walk on them going in and out. They also have concrete blocks in a shady area that they roost on during the day. I rarely have to trim nails unless someone has a wonky toe, I check spurs regularly.

Back
Top Bottom