Dear Diary ;) My 1st Brooder

Crashanova

Chirping
Nov 30, 2020
So, I've decided to jump in and begin my journey in backyard chickens. Today I began setting up my very first brooder. It's not complete just yet, but I'm already so excited to be working towards getting that very first chick.

I used an old cage I had laying around that once housed pet rats. I flipped it on it's side so it would create more space. Taped on some plastic around the outside to keep the bedding in and also wrapped the cardboard bottom in plastic to make clean up easier. I've got the water container and feeder ready. Waiting for the brooder heater I ordered to arrive. It's a work in progress, but just wanted to share with those who would understand the excitement 😁
IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9866.JPG

Chicks are adorable! What breed are you getting?
Well, I just got 4 chicks 5 weeks ago. I am hoping to get some silver laced Wyandottes in the New year. Here are some pictures of my chicks ( they are crosses and I got them at a week old) I am trying to sex them and have posted pictures of them so everyone can help me. We think the black ones are female.
DSCN0605.JPG
DSCN0651.JPG
DSCN0657.JPG
DSCN0658.JPG
DSCN0664.JPG
DSCN0672.JPG
DSCN0674.JPG
RSCN0667.JPG

Well, I just got 4 chicks 5 weeks ago. I am hoping to get some silver laced Wyandottes in the New year. Here are some pictures of my chicks ( they are crosses and I got them at a week old) I am trying to sex them and have posted pictures of them so everyone can help me. We think the black ones are female.View attachment 2439620View attachment 2439621View attachment 2439622View attachment 2439623View attachment 2439624View attachment 2439625View attachment 2439626View attachment 2439627
Aww how cute. We have two polish chicks (4 weeks) and one silkie chicken (almost 3 months).

Well, I just got 4 chicks 5 weeks ago. I am hoping to get some silver laced Wyandottes in the New year. Here are some pictures of my chicks ( they are crosses and I got them at a week old) I am trying to sex them and have posted pictures of them so everyone can help me. We think the black ones are female.View attachment 2439620View attachment 2439621View attachment 2439622View attachment 2439623View attachment 2439624View attachment 2439625View attachment 2439626View attachment 2439627

They are so adorable! Are they your first chickens?

Last edited:
They are so adorable! Are they your first chickens?
No, I have had other chickens in the past ( Light Sussex, Polish bantams, Gold Laced Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, White Leghorns, Bantams and one Easter Egger I think), I will have to post some pictures of them at some point. We sadly had to get rid of them all though.

Do you have a favorite out of the breeds you've raised? I really want to eventually have a Gold Laced Wyandotte! I think they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom