Death before zip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DuckCommander, Feb 15, 2014.

1. DuckCommander

DuckCommander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    Why would a chick die before they start zipping? I have had 4 die this way so far this hatch. Temp is good and I've been keeping humidity around 70%. They all externally pipped

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Are they pipping at the correct end of the egg? If they are pipping at the wrong end of the egg, they can die before unzipping because they can't turn properly in the egg. If they pipped at the correct end of the egg, the only other thing I can think of is not enough ventilation. Do you have the vents open?

3. DuckCommander

DuckCommander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    It must be ventilation, I was taking the plugs in and out to prevent the humidity from dropping too low. I won't do that again!

4. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    If humidity is an issue increase the surface are of the water. This will increase evaporation and in turn increase humidity. I use a cotton sock that has been split down the middle. Lay one end of the sock in the water and the cotton will suck up the water like a wick. You can remove your vent plugs and still have high humidity.

Chicken-Farmer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by