Death in Chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Oboistonquack, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oboistonquack

Oboistonquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Maine
    The other day I went out to the coop and discovered that one or two of my hens had killed one of the others. The one they killed was a semi-new addition to the flock and I'd noticed that one bird was more violent than usual to her when trying to establish the pecking order. What I want to know is whether or not the birds who have tasted the blood are likely to do this again or not. I do not want to put future birds in the coop and have the same thing happen.

Thanks

2. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I have come home to find dead ones that have been cannibalized, but have not noticed that it makes the eaters more vicious.

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    hopefully this is a one time thing and she didn't develope a taste for blood, keep a close eye out for her trying to peck for more - if she does, separate her immediatly, the other chickens are prob better able to defend themselves, and that will be enough to stop that from happening.
    If you want to add more hens, you will have to lock her(the most aggressive) up and let the new one establish with the flock...it is best to add at least 2 at a time and at night when all are more calm. hope that helps some

4. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    also try putting the new birds in a small enclosure with the chickens for the day, then after the birds bed down for the night put the new one in the coop. then in the morning they will be like "well hello there" and they should be less aggressive.

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Quote:This is good news for the original poster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by