Death in flock

FarmalI

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
So, I had a chicken die today. It acted just fine yesterday, and this morning. When it was time for them to be shut up for the night it was missing. It was behind the chicken house dead between the waterer and dust box. What happened???

Any wounds or discolorations? You can send the bird for a necropsy, I think through the state extension or vet hospital. Or you can do it yourself.

I am so sad as one of my Rhode Island Reds just dropped dead with no apparent reason. Let them out this morning and all were fine went back a few hours later and my Big Red was just laying dead in the coop. She was under the ramp up to the laying boxes, No sign of trauma. Her neck was very limp and made us think it might be broke.
Honestly don't know what happened to her. When let out this morning they all ran out of the coop and around the yard.

I already got rid of the bird. The chicken was stiff and neck kinda limp.

Sorry about your loss. Practically the same thing happened to me last year. My favorite BO hen was racing in for treats one day, and the next wouldn't come out of the coop. She died a few hours later for no known reason. I guess birds can just die a lot easier/quicker than mammals.

Back
Top Bottom