Death in the field

sjthawk

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2016

This happened today while they were out i think my other four girls did this to her. Jw what are some people opinions. I'm thinking if it was an animal she would have bin really bad if not totally gone. All i found was her laying on the ground with some wing flapping markes in the snow about ten feet away just trying to figure out what happen to my girl. If it was my own birds or something els thanks

It looks like a hawk attacked her, but it normally would've completely killed her. I've never heard of chickens to that to other chickens.

It could have been a hawk. They don't always kill the chicken before they start eating it. They use their talons to kill but if the prey is immobilized will start pulling out feathers and chunks of flesh while it's still alive. Could be that something else frightened it off before it had a chance to really start on her. Are there talon punctures anywhere on her. You may have to look hard for them.

I did not even think of a hawk. That makes sense now cuz where i found her there were no feet markes. And the wing span in the snow looked really big to be a chicken. All so when i found her the rest of my hens were back in the coop like they got scared. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom