Death of my old friend Durango

feather and mountain man

Corn fed Indiana farmgirl
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
My Durango died the engine went out and it cost more to fix than it is worth. I have loved that old suv since I bought it in 2001. I don't dare fix it since the rear end is going out also and the power windows in both front doors don't work.
hit.gif
th.gif
he.gif

Let us have a moment of peace for the Durango...................................................................................................................................................................................................

I am so sorry for you loss.....
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I have felt your pain before and it's not fun.

LOL

I'm sorry..
hugs.gif

I have an S10 Blazer. We replaced the clutch (the clutch pack was an anniversary present from DH
love.gif
) which was a pain to do... nothing went like it should and we were in an unheated garage at -20F. 5 days later I hit a deer and totaled it. Paid the extra to get it fixed (I told DH that we wouldn't get much of a vehicle for what insurance would pay, and after the work we just did I wanted to keep her!). 5 years later at about 275,000 miles the engine went out and we went ahead and replaced it. Now at 311,500 the power steering is noisy. Little things are going more often, but sooner or later we should run out of things to fix, shouldn't we?

I hate replacing vehicles... it's like learning a new language as you learn the personality of the new ride. The S10 is our youngest vehicle, she's a '93.

I am a purchaser for a small garbage company. I buy a lot of truck parts. You can buy parts for your Durango. Look for salvage yards, call them and give them the info on your Durango. If they tell you they don't have it, ask if they know someone who does. Be ready to write. Then call that salvage yard and ask again. Sometimes the salvage yard is on a radio that goes out to salvage yards in the area and you can ask them to announce what you are looking for. If another salvage yard has it, they will answer in seconds.

www.lmctruck.com They have new aftermarket parts.

www.lkqcorp.com HUGE salvage, nation wide. Also affilated with www.keystoneautomotive.com

You can get new or rebuilt window motors at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.

I purchased a rear end for a Dodge 2001 1/2 ton truck last year from a salvage yard for $150.00

Good luck to you. You mention that it is too expensive to repair, but what would a new vehicle cost???????
In this economy, there is bound to be a mechanic that would like to make some money "on the side".

Quote:
Well to replace the motor it will cost about $4000 for a refurbished motor(mostly labor of removing and installing the large motor from the small doghouse and frame) $4700 for a used (more because the labor of taking everything off of my motor and putting it on a used one) The window would be $1200 for both windows and just to buy a rear end is $300. The cost to repair is way more than the value of the Durango. I have decided to donate it to the local high school vocational school of auto mechanics so it can be used for parts or they can use it to teach kids to do mechanics. So it will be better to just go buy another durango than to fix this one.

However since I am tired of the durango's 12miles per gallon fuel cost I am going to get a ford edge.

I have a truck which would you believe it the bearing went out on it the day after the durango and it is going to cost $2500 to replace the engine in it.

I loved the durango very much but I think the ford edge is a better choice for our family at this time. I had been planning on keeping the durango and buying a ford edge anyway. The idea was to keep the durango for a spare vehicle , as long as it would last. Just didn't know it would not live much longer. It still looks pretty and I could use it for a yard onimant and fit in to a lot of the folks around here better
wink.png

Quote:
Well to replace the motor it will cost about $4000 for a refurbished motor(mostly labor of removing and installing the large motor from the small doghouse and frame) $4700 for a used (more because the labor of taking everything off of my motor and putting it on a used one) The window would be $1200 for both windows and just to buy a rear end is $300. The cost to repair is way more than the value of the Durango. I have decided to donate it to the local high school vocational school of auto mechanics so it can be used for parts or they can use it to teach kids to do mechanics. So it will be better to just go buy another durango than to fix this one.

However since I am tired of the durango's 12miles per gallon fuel cost I am going to get a ford edge.

I have a truck which would you believe it the bearing went out on it the day after the durango and it is going to cost $2500 to replace the engine in it.

I loved the durango very much but I think the ford edge is a better choice for our family at this time. I had been planning on keeping the durango and buying a ford edge anyway. The idea was to keep the durango for a spare vehicle , as long as it would last. Just didn't know it would not live much longer. It still looks pretty and I could use it for a yard onimant and fit in to a lot of the folks around here better
wink.png

New chicken coop?

Sorry it croaked, I was really bummed when my '79 Suburban croaked. But with the price of gas these days......

Quote:

wink.png

I wouldn't trust a Ford. We had a little pickup and the transmission went out on it a lot. My grandma had a ford van and every time it rained it stalled and we had to give it a push to get it going again.

Quote:

wink.png

I wouldn't trust a Ford. We had a little pickup and the transmission went out on it a lot. My grandma had a ford van and every time it rained it stalled and we had to give it a push to get it going again.

that was just two cars out of millions...our ford-f250 pick up is elleven and has only need the regular oil change or new tires.

Back
Top Bottom