Death to raccoons

I either relocate live trapped critters (because there is a LOT of wide open space in this part of Iowa and that includes areas where no one has poultry that I would be putting at risk or I call the DNR and let them take care of the "prisoner."

I either relocate live trapped critters (because there is a LOT of wide open space in this part of Iowa and that includes areas where no one has poultry that I would be putting at risk or I call the DNR and let them take care of the "prisoner."
I was just curious. I got flamed here pretty good for relocating a raccoon once. I think it is a situational thing though and was just curious what you did. Thanks for the honest answer.

I know there are folks who think the only good raccoon is a dead raccoon, but those critters are just trying to exist, and it's my responsibility to keep my critters off their menu, in my opinion. My aunt and uncle used to have a pet raccoon, Snoopy, who lived in their house and delighted in opening the cupboards and ripping the labels off all the canned goods. A meal at Aunt Shirley's was often an adventure!

As much as possible, I believe in the live and let live philosophy. It's a big world, and there's space for most of us. I will admit to wanting to kill a mink who killed my birds, but it WAS MY FAULT for forgetting to close one coop one night.

I'm sorry you both got flamed for doing what you believed was the right thing to do. I used to be a newspaper editor and over the years became quite accustomed to having people say nasty things to and about me. I've learned it's quite possible to disagree with someone's opinion without making it a personal attack. Keep doing what YOU think is right.

The problem as I see it is, there is a never ending number of coons as well as other hungry critters. Kill some, more will come. It's a never ending battle. However, securing your perimeter so they can't get in seems to be a better solution. As long as there is a way in, you will be drawn in to that fight. You can kill some off and it might slow it down or even stop it, for a time, but others will come back and the whole thing starts over. Just a thought.:caf

The essential thing to do about raccoons and other predators is to keep them out of the coop and run!!!
That means taking the 'Ft. Knox' approach to poultry housing, way more expensive in the short run, and way cheaper, and less traumatic, in the long run.
And in many states it's illegal to relocate such critters, except in certain places, for very good reasons. So don't trap them in the first place! Wild life needs to be wild, not living in the barn or back yard, possibly bringing in nasty and fatal diseases.
Mary

DP traps can be set all around your property and the chickens won’t mess with them much. They’re cheaper than cages but you’ll either have to shoot them or pick up a catch pole to remove them from the trap.
There’s no shortage of raccoons so killing them solves the problem. Sure more will move back in eventually but the goal isn’t to eradicate a species It’s just to remove the problem animals.

Trap then 22.

I'm sorry you both got flamed for doing what you believed was the right thing to do. I used to be a newspaper editor and over the years became quite accustomed to having people say nasty things to and about me. I've learned it's quite possible to disagree with someone's opinion without making it a personal attack. Keep doing what YOU think is right.

except when it’s illegal. It is often illegal to relocate wild animals unless you have permission to relocate on someone else’s land. Not to mention relocating an animal is often putting them in another animal’s territory, and in an area they are not familiar with/need to find food. As for relocating where you think there are no chickens or livestock...that isn’t always known either, raccoons will travel.

racoons aren't endangered. Many won’t try to breach your run. But, some will try or succeed and those are the ones that you trap and kill.

my neighbors entire flock of nine chickens was killed by a raccoon family. So, neighbor, other neighbor and myself trapped and killed 10 raccoons. No more problems until another raccoon (or family) discovers our chickens eventually, but that could be next spring or several years from now.

Back
Top Bottom