Debate on food, free range and egg quality...

Pics
I keep seeing "pure cane sugar" printed on bags in the store :confused:

(But I suppose the bags in the store are only a small part of the sugar we eat, and I don't know whether cane sugar or beet sugar is usually used in candy, beverages, bakery goods, and so forth.)
A lot of that sugar in beverages and other products is coming from corn, not cane or beets.

A lot of that sugar in beverages and other products is coming from corn, not cane or beets.
When it's labeled corn syrup, yes. But when the ingredients list says "sugar," I presume it's coming from either sugar cane or sugar beets. (Unless the word "sugar" got redefined?)

(But I suppose the bags in the store are only a small part of the sugar we eat, and I don't know whether cane sugar or beet sugar is usually used in candy, beverages, bakery goods, and so forth.)
MANY more items have sugar in them than you might think. One trick is that they use alternate names, not all of which people are familiar with. Here is one list of 61 names, though I've seen other lists with different counts:

61 Names for Sugar​

• Agave nectar
  • Barbados sugar
  • Barley malt
  • Barley malt syrup
  • Beet sugar
  • Brown sugar
  • Buttered syrup
  • Cane juice
  • Cane juice crystals
  • Cane sugar
  • Caramel
  • Carob syrup
  • Castor sugar
  • Coconut palm sugar
  • Coconut sugar
  • Confectioner's sugar
  • Corn sweetener
  • Corn syrup
  • Corn syrup solids
  • Date sugar
  • Dehydrated cane juice
  • Demerara sugar
  • Dextrin
  • Dextrose
  • Evaporated cane juice
  • Free-flowing brown sugars
  • Fructose
  • Fruit juice
  • Fruit juice concentrate
  • Glucose
  • Glucose solids
  • Golden sugar
  • Golden syrup
  • Grape sugar
  • HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup)
  • Honey
  • Icing sugar
  • Invert sugar
  • Malt syrup
  • Maltodextrin
  • Maltol
  • Maltose
  • Mannose
  • Maple syrup
  • Molasses
  • Muscovado
  • Palm sugar
  • Panocha
  • Powdered sugar
  • Raw sugar
  • Refiner's syrup
  • Rice syrup
  • Saccharose
  • Sorghum Syrup
  • Sucrose
  • Sugar (granulated)
  • Sweet Sorghum
  • Syrup
  • Treacle
  • Turbinado sugar
  • Yellow sugar

Where "both sides" have invested in buying outcomes, one can assume that nothing is known because all the data is purchased, or one can look to the research itself. In this particular case, the research overwhelmingly favors Monsanto with regard glyphosate as a human carcinogen - but disfavors them on a host of other questions, specifically those related to its consequences to pant and aquatic life.

Chemistry is uncaring - we know HOW glyphosate works (and other organo-phosphonates), and we know how the human body works. There is no offered mechanism for how glyphosate might be a human carcinogen. There are plenty of offered mechanisms - well studied, well understood, in no way controversial - for what it does to plant life.

...and if its simply keeping glyphosate out of your diet, however its delivered, in addition to soy, and corn, you should also give up canola oils, sugar (its used on sugar beets, the source of most US sugar), wheat, dried beans, peas, peanuts, sunflower seeds, a host of fruits and nuts, grapes, some citrus, asparagus, onions, and numerous other veggie crops).

I happen to think that's taking the precautionary principal a few steps too far - but your body, your choice.
It's not just 'cancer.' Here's an interesting read from The Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry:
Glyphosate pathways to modern diseases VI: Prions, amyloidoses and autoimmune
neurological diseases
http://www.amsi.ge/jbpc/11717/25SA16A.pdf

But you are absolutely right, it affects more than just soybeans.

Pure Cane on the bag sugar. Sugar beets almost everywhere else you see sugar on a label. Because Corn Syrup is *usually* disclosed as corn syrup.

because we humans will pay a price premium for some ingredients, in pure form - but much less of one when the ingredient is one of many.

Funny I just read an article this week in the paper that there is Glyphosate in something like 85% of the population's urine, LOL. For the OP, you will have to feed your birds a good feed, they will probably eat less in the warmer months & in my honest opinion, truly free range eggs would be much more appealing. It is not complicated. Good luck!

It's not just 'cancer.' Here's an interesting read from The Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry:
Glyphosate pathways to modern diseases VI: Prions, amyloidoses and autoimmune
neurological diseases
http://www.amsi.ge/jbpc/11717/25SA16A.pdf

But you are absolutely right, it affects more than just soybeans.
Interesting read, long on what ifs, short on sample size.

Honestly, when you are dealing with statitstical association of diseases for which there is no test, and further, diseases which are said to exist on a "spectrum", you are already starting on a very tenuous foundation.

They've proposed mechanisms, lets see them demonstrate the chemical processes in a lab setting.

and thank you for the link - its a proposed mechanism, which is more than mostr offer.

Back
Top Bottom