Debeaking??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lunkerchicken, May 1, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there anything to debeaking? I have read in some places, to reduce unwanted pecking, debeak the chicks between 7 - 10 days and then again between 6 & 12 weeks of age. What are some opinions on this?

2. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    It's usually done by commercial chicken farms to reduce pecking. If your chicks have suffcient room, they should not need it.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I personally think it's an inhumane thing to do.
    It's used mostly for broiler houses and big farm egg companies where they are closely confined and would pick each other to death. I did buy some hens at an auction a few years ago that were already debeaked - they were about 2 years old at the time. I don't know why they were and I didn't ask. They were golden comets.

4. teeny

teeny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    West Virginia
    Don't do it. they look funny and when you look at them you can see thru their beak into the inside . I have 12 red sexlinks that were given to me and they were like this, I would never do it to mine. If you handle yours alot and treat them good they will be the same back to you . I have over 60 chickens and they don't peck at me. BEST OF LUCK with your new flock!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yuk.

If you get unwanted pecking, they are often overcrowded or stressed, or they are pecking a sick/defective chicken. Several ways to address it without cutting beaks.

Battery chickens no doubt need debeaking.

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Opinion? It's sadistic.[​IMG]

7. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Why would anyone do that to their little ones?!?!? [​IMG]

8. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much for the info. I am glad I inquired!

9. lambchick

lambchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Nebraska
    I don't think I"ve ever seen a debeaked chicken. Is there a photo online here? I can't imagine them without it.

10. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have a RIR hen that has somehow broken off the end of her top beak. She look so funny without it. I guess that is what they would look like with them trimmed. I so would not do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by