Debeaking?

Quote:
Oh yea, I forgot to add that I also use deep dish feeding and have two feeders. We put one in the run and one in the coop. Our cute little crooked beak girl will go inside the coop sometimes to eat in peace, but she hangs well with the others. Unfortunately we had to file hers just once b/c it became to crossed for her to eat, but we only trimmed a wee bit off. She has learned to eat by cocking her head sideways to peck and does just fine now.

I have a little rir pullet that has crooked beak. We are so worried that she may get to where she can't eat or drink. Do any of you have diagrams of how to trim the beak? My daughter says that so far she is still eating and drinking. But if we do have to trim the beak,, I'd like to have pictures of how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. This is the sweetest chick I've ever had. She started jumping into my hand at 3 days old and just going to sleep there. I don't want to lose her.

No, I won't trim her beak unless I have to. We use deep feed and water dishes for her and so far she seems to be doing just fine. But, if I DO have to trim, I'd like some diagrams or something to go by.

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

I also have a crook beak chicken that I have to keep her beak trimed and filed.

That seems reasonable and helpful for the chickens. Just curious, do the hens seem to mind?​

Lightly filing or trimming away some excess isn't the same as what is done when the chicks are debeaked. They are cut way down...where nerves and blood vessels are....it is painful and disfiguring and it never grows back. I can't imagine a little file job or trim would be any different than cutting nails.....just use extreme caution and it shouldn't be a problem.

When you trim. it will grow back so you may need to trim periodically. Like a bunny that I had, the lower teeth grew out and up so they needed trimmed now and then. That isn't a big deal... debeaking, however, involves cauterization and it's cut off way back to stop cannibalizing (as stated earlier, in over crowded conditions).

I am not sure what debeaking is.......
roll.png
Never heard of it until now, interesting and sounds cruel.

anywho- After reading this thread about the trimmings, my 7 week olds I noticed last night actually, Have such an overgrowth of the upper beak that it curls in a partial loop. (like an overgrown say...fingernail would) Some I noticed it even keeps the beak open slightly due to this. Is this something I should file a bit???
They certainly are not suffering with it so I don't know that I will necessarily do anything about it.......Not broke....don't fix it....
old.gif

However, could it become a problem?? And if so...how would I go about "filing" it down a bit??
barnie.gif

Could some of you with beak problems on your hens post pictures of the beaks? Let us see what it is that needs filed or cut back.

Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom