Decapitated hen

Another predator that takes off the head and partially eats the breast meat....a skunk chews thru the neck, eats the head for the brain and then sucks the blood from the wounds. The rest of the body is left behind.
Usually Skunks will take the easier choice of eating eggs, but they are adept at catching young birds.
Wow! I had no idea. Our coop is enclosed with thick wire over the top as well as the sides.I have seen a skunk in the yard lately. I couldn't figure out how a raccoon got through the opening, which has been fixed, but a skunk would have fit easily. Poor hen.

The New Hampshire Red hen was lying in the middle of the chicken run when I went out this morning to let the flock into the backyard. She was missing her head and part of her breast had been chewed away. The other hens had been out of the coop and in the run for a few hours before I found her, and I couldn't see any evidence that they had cannibalized their sister, nor could I find a detached head anywhere in the coop or the run. I can't imagine what creature could have done this inside our locked and presumed critter-proofed chicken yard. I just hope she was already dead before whatever started gnawing on her.
Ohhh that is so sad. I’ve heard that happens here where I live, it’s been attributed to hawks though. I hope you find a way to keep the rest safe!

Hardly a night goes by when I don't see a predator on a game camera. Here they roam at night. A visitor, a coyote
DSCF00011028 07.jpg

Another visitor, a fox.
IMAG00031029 07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom