DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!šŸ˜Š

We had 11 successful hatches during Day 20 :celebrate

2 of 2 Spitz x Legbar - I think both are sex-linked brown birchen girls...but I'll need to wait until they're fully fluffed
4 of 4 Legbar x Dominique - They look so much like wee Dominiques, I think they may be autosexing by head spots. Will be fun to find out! They still need to dry before I can make my guesses
4 of 4 Legbar x Olive Egger - 2 look much lighter than the others (boys?), one is darker with clearer chipmunk lines (girl?) and the 4th is still a little to wet to tell, but they seem to be autosexing
1 of 3 Spitz x Olive Egger - I'm glad I put up the fence because this little girl(?) looks just like the Spitz x Legbars on the other side. The other 2 are pipped!

These are my Easter Egger x Speckled Sussex hatched lastnight

20201201_091500.jpg

So we decided to bring the 3 smallest, weaker ducklings inside to a warm bucket - they just were being buried beneath everyone else and all the bedding and we didn't want them to suffocate or overheat.

The middle one is the one (smallest of all 8) who we had to assist entirely as it was in the smallest egg and couldn't free itself.

View attachment 2432419

The other 5 are all floofy and sleeping under mama for the night šŸ„°
Congratulations! Adorable little fluffers!šŸ„°

We had 11 successful hatches during Day 20 :celebrate

2 of 2 Spitz x Legbar - I think both are sex-linked brown birchen girls...but I'll need to wait until they're fully fluffed
4 of 4 Legbar x Dominique - They look so much like wee Dominiques, I think they may be autosexing by head spots. Will be fun to find out! They still need to dry before I can make my guesses
4 of 4 Legbar x Olive Egger - 2 look much lighter than the others (boys?), one is darker with clearer chipmunk lines (girl?) and the 4th is still a little to wet to tell, but they seem to be autosexing
1 of 3 Spitz x Olive Egger - I'm glad I put up the fence because this little girl(?) looks just like the Spitz x Legbars on the other side. The other 2 are pipped!
Congratulations! šŸ˜€ What an excellent hatch rate and such unique mixes, too. šŸ„°

All 13 eggs hatched! I managed to get a quick video while I was moving the fluffy ones to the brooder.

By the time I got them moved, 3 of the 4 Dominique crosses had already jumped the fence. Fortunately, the Spitz crosses each stayed on their own side. The 3 Spitz-OEs are still in the bator so I can figure out how to mark the 2 Spitz-Legbars before I combine them.

My friend sent my son some fertile eggs as a Christmas gift!! lots have detached air cells though and I'm terrified of incubating them because I always have such a poor hatch rate (all my incubators lay the eggs on the side). I think I read I can prop them up in an egg carton with holes cut in them for a week then lay them down and manually turn until lockdown.. does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom