DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

I have 11 "test eggs" of mixed Silkies due to hatch this Sat/Sun, and another 20 of mixed gestational age thanks to a broody Silkie pullet who is hell-bent on setting eggs, due any time between the 12th and the 24th....
Welcome! Love silkies! 🥰 Can't wait to see them! By mixed, do you mean mixed colors? What are you testing?

Thanks Ladies, Mosul, Hale for all the input!
I do have another question. The last two pips did not go so well. One simply stoped after breaking through both the membrane and shell. I waited a day before doing anything and that chick unfortunately was already dead. I’m betting it because of the humidity after taking out the other chicks I haven't been able to raise it back up. I did help the second one. I put a bit of coconut oil on the membrane and chipped the shell away a bit more, that chick pushed itself out. Do any of you spritz inside of the incubator when removing chicks?
My current issue is this chick it’s got yolk glued to its body. It’s dried on him. I tried rinsing it twice but it’s like glue. I put him in a box because he’s getting picked on.

Attachments

• 1D67DD91-6749-44BD-B25B-225AFFABFFB5.jpeg
    1D67DD91-6749-44BD-B25B-225AFFABFFB5.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 1
I do have another question. The last two pips did not go so well. One simply stoped after breaking through both the membrane and shell. I waited a day before doing anything and that chick unfortunately was already dead. I’m betting it because of the humidity after taking out the other chicks I haven't been able to raise it back up. I did help the second one. I put a bit of coconut oil on the membrane and chipped the shell away a bit more, that chick pushed itself out. Do any of you spritz inside of the incubator when removing chicks?
My current issue is this chick it’s got yolk glued to its body. It’s dried on him. I tried rinsing it twice but it’s like glue. I put him in a box because he’s getting picked on.
sounds like sticky chick not yolk, sometimes when the humidity is too high they do not loose enough moisture and the chick is not able to absorb what is left so they come out sticky.... when that happens it feels hard almost like concrete to me. if I can catch them when they are wet I give them a very warm "shower" under the faucet being very careful to not get water on the head.... carefully caress off the sticky and they seem to do fine. when it is dry you might need a soft brush or wash rag and lots of patience all while keeping baby warm. good luck

Sounds like you got good advice from @aliciaplus3. 😊 I do not do anything when removing chicks. I try to remove them quickly when another one has just hatched, as the humidty goes up then on it's own from the hatching chick.
Congratulations again on your hatch. Happy Holidays and see you on the threads!🥰

Welcome! Love silkies! 🥰 Can't wait to see them! By mixed, do you mean mixed colors? What are you testing?
By "test" I mean "I'm totally testing fertility, and definitely not just being a loon that misses having tiny peeps in my laundry room to play with while I wait for most of my girls to mature and start laying". By "mixed" I mean that I haven't sorted my colors back out for actual breeding season yet (because of the aforementioned lack of mature girls laying yet), so my three laying girls are partridge, paint, and cuckoo respectively, and my mature boys are partridge, grey, and splash. Alternatively known as "fun with punnet squares!"

By "test" I mean "I'm totally testing fertility, and definitely not just being a loon that misses having tiny peeps in my laundry room to play with while I wait for most of my girls to mature and start laying". By "mixed" I mean that I haven't sorted my colors back out for actual breeding season yet (because of the aforementioned lack of mature girls laying yet), so my three laying girls are partridge, paint, and cuckoo respectively, and my mature boys are partridge, grey, and splash. Alternatively known as "fun with punnet squares!"

I seriously could have written this! 😂

Except mine are in the living room.
My family humors me, but they just do not get it!
I have silkie crosses cooking, 2 have hatched, more on the way, very staggered, because I thought I should "test" my silkie cockerels fertility, while I wait for my 3 silkie girls to mature (just over 6 months old and not an egg in sight from them).
I have splash, blue partridge and white pullets. White cockerel. Was also testing if my boy was recessive or dominant white, as he had a good chance of being the latter. The 2 chicks that hatched yesterday are black like their olive egger mother, so he is recessive.
I am very excited to see what you hatch! I actually love the non color conforming silkies, they are so interesting and will be a so much fun to see them! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom