DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Photo shoot of the two fluffers!
I can see the Marans in the larger one (four toed). Though they have the same parents.
I think they are both bearded. Hard to tell if they have crests yet.
Curious how the rest will look😊
Third one is pipping right now.
1FA84E6C-C8FF-4CAD-A077-E092C4CFFAF4.jpeg
EA2C9B2B-8531-4254-80A8-E27C13C3BC67.jpeg
5CDA3B58-1A34-4E0F-B7AA-F9DE0B55B524.jpeg
94D5A65F-C89E-4D32-8E85-7E88CC4CB748.jpeg

I seriously could have written this! 😂

Except mine are in the living room.
My family humors me, but they just do not get it!
I have silkie crosses cooking, 2 have hatched, more on the way, very staggered, because I thought I should "test" my silkie cockerels fertility, while I wait for my 3 silkie girls to mature (just over 6 months old and not an egg in sight from them).
I have splash, blue partridge and white pullets. White cockerel. Was also testing if my boy was recessive or dominant white, as he had a good chance of being the latter. The 2 chicks that hatched yesterday are black like their olive egger mother, so he is recessive.
I am very excited to see what you hatch! I actually love the non color conforming silkies, they are so interesting and will be a so much fun to see them! 🥰

Oh good, I'm not the only one! 😂🤣

Right now I'm waiting on my second partridge girl to start laying, but they're only 9 months old, and 3BBS, 1 grey, and two more paint girls that are all six months. I had some really bad luck with what I was feeding this past summer, and lost most of my mature ladies to starvation thinking it was parasites (you never think it's the feed when you're paying an arm and a leg for the fancy mix you were recommended by the feed guru). Changed back my feed two months and almost everyone is back to a good weight, but I lost all but one of my greys, and that's the color I had such good results with.

OH NO!!!! I got home from work today and somehow my incubator temp was 114, humidity of 10!!!! I have no idea how it happened or for how long, my best guess is a curious dog got in there and bumped the dimmer switch.

I immediately opened it up and cooled it down, added more water, got the eggs rotated. I’ve had them for about 7 days, this was day 2 in the ‘bator.

Is all hope gone? Should I even keep them in there and candle them in 3 days? I’m absolutely devastated 😭😭

OH NO!!!! I got home from work today and somehow my incubator temp was 114, humidity of 10!!!! I have no idea how it happened or for how long, my best guess is a curious dog got in there and bumped the dimmer switch.

I immediately opened it up and cooled it down, added more water, got the eggs rotated. I’ve had them for about 7 days, this was day 2 in the ‘bator.

Is all hope gone? Should I even keep them in there and candle them in 3 days? I’m absolutely devastated 😭😭

I've never had any go this high, but I've got eggs that were under a broody for a few days and then sat in my cold car for hours that are doing hunky-dory, so don't panic! Definitely don't give up hope yet. Always wait a few days and candle, then you will know.

Also, a low humidity for a short period of time this early in shouldn't hurt things.

I agree with @BuckeyeFoodie, wait and candle, you never know. So sorry this happened! You can normally see some development by 4 days with a good light and a dark room. Nothing else to do but wait and see. 🙂

So this little guy got an assist he was the last one out and is a bit of an oddball. I think our Duckwing Phoenix might have actually uh....gotten lucky.

Hachted out 15 chicks so far, lost one, one egg stopped developing and I placed five eggs back into the incubator after bleaching it. I think most of these leftovers were from my broody hen so they may be a few days behind. Seems like my broody hen finally gave up all the eggs outside they were cold and she’s finally stopped sitting them.

Attachments

• ECB6CE7C-6C73-47EE-ABCB-C013D62B21BE.jpeg
    ECB6CE7C-6C73-47EE-ABCB-C013D62B21BE.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
sounds like sticky chick not yolk, sometimes when the humidity is too high they do not loose enough moisture and the chick is not able to absorb what is left so they come out sticky.... when that happens it feels hard almost like concrete to me. if I can catch them when they are wet I give them a very warm "shower" under the faucet being very careful to not get water on the head.... carefully caress off the sticky and they seem to do fine. when it is dry you might need a soft brush or wash rag and lots of patience all while keeping baby warm. good luck
Thank you!!!

So this little guy got an assist he was the last one out and is a bit of an oddball. I think our Duckwing Phoenix might have actually uh....gotten lucky.

Hachted out 15 chicks so far, lost two and placed five eggs back into the incubator after bleaching it. I think most of these leftovers are a bit behind they were from my broody hen so they may be a few days behind. Seems like my broody hen finally gave up all the eggs outside they were cold and she’s finally stopped sitting them.
Little sweetie! 🥰
Hope the broody eggs make it!

So, after a 0% hatch rate for ducks in my first attempt (5 eggs), and knowing I couldn't better 84% for my second attempt with chicks (2 of 12 were infertile) I wake up this AM to find one chick cheeping and has successfully pipped the outer shell and made a significant hole for itself, growing slowly. Assuming nothing catastrophic now, that means I got at least 8% right. Most of the other eggs are two dark brown to have successfully candled (any flashlight recommends??) but there were a couple I'd swear I saw movement in. And a few that didn't seem to be filled enough with "dark" -pretty obvious air sack (1/5th egg?), large dark spot (1/2 egg), and something in between for the rest, about which I am very nervous. Today is day 0, but the eggs were collected over three days, so I guess I'll keep this thing running till mid- next week, and move hatchlings to their brooder as they dry out and pair up???

Its the back egg - the one in foreground is marked with pencil 2-10A (Day 2, 10AM) and a suspected dud. I can't read the marks on the hatching egg to determine where it falls in the timeline. Two of the others I'm hopeful of are 3-7A (Day 3, 7AM).

In the future, should I use grease pencil instead of actual pencil? I assume I shouldn't use magic marker...

1607176904432.png

Back
Top Bottom