DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!šŸ˜Š

To my surprise, I have one external pip..who pipped on the wrong end of the egg and appears to possibly have a mild crossed beak. I can't catch a break it seems!

The membrane on that one was VERY dry and rubbery looking, so I did pop the egg out quickly to moisten it with some coconut oil, and I upped the humidity. Curiosity got the best of me and I very quickly candled the rest. Looks like I have one internally pipped, but the other 3 honestly don't look hopeful to me. I see no movement and they have that sunk down to the bottom look to them. All of these eggs had rather small air cells on lockdown despite me doing dry incubation, so I fear they may have drowned in their eggs. Here's hoping that I'm wrong.
So sorry to read this news.šŸ™ How is it going this morning? Any updates?
Do know what humidity you were running during the incubation?

My second hatch started a few day earlier than expected! In this batch I have Cochins and Buff Orpingtons! So how did this happen?

Attachments

• 20201230_115143.jpg
    20201230_115143.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 9
Sorry for the late update! I ended up with only 1 Olandsk Dwarf chick hatching. The crossbeaked wrong end pip chick died overnight after pipping. The three I suspected were dead in shell had indeed quit, I did eggtopsies and found 3 fully developed but very gooey and horribly positioned chicks. :(

The one that did hatch managed to pip in the right spot but eventually needed some assistance. She was weak at first after hatching but thankfully very active and doing well now. I carefully introduced her to the singleton Christmas day chick and they've become buddies.

My humidity ran in the mid to low 20s and sometimes even into the teens. I never added water to the incubator and yet those air cells were still tiny. My only guess as to what went wrong is that the shells on those eggs were extraordinarily thick. I've really never seen thicker egg shells before, those things were intense. I'm thinking they prevented adequate moisture loss in the eggs even despite the dry incubation.

It's sad but I'm at least glad my Christmas chick has a friend now. I was worried about introducing the new chick to a week old one but the older chick accepted her with no issues.

So sorry for all the losses. šŸ™
I had a severely cross beaked chick hatch with assistance last Summer, that only lived 3 days. So hard when they do not make it.
Good you were able to put the two littles together.šŸ™‚

Back
Top Bottom