December hatch-along?

Pics
One out with lots more internal and external pips!
20191214_153632.jpg
little black copper marans

:oops::oops::oops::oops:Question: I am on day 10 in the incubator. I just got 2 hygrometers and I need to know what the humidity should be at this stage.

15 out of 17 are still baking away. In some of the Marans eggs I can see quick movements when I candle. I suspect that the embryos don’t care the such bright lights and I don’t blame them. If all 15 hatch....
:oops::oops::oops:

I like to keep it dry, 35 % would be my optimal for chickens. Honestly though, I don't worry too much about it. If I candle and see they're loosing too fast or too slow, I change things up a bit. Then I crank it as high as possible when they've externally pipped.

Ooh, the white one with brown down his back. Fancy looking! What breed is he?
Actually, they're all the same breed, Olandsk Dwarf. The chicks come in two color patterns, either the blond with random brown spots on the head and/or back, or the chipmunk pattern (both sharp and blurred). These chicks are from several different hens (purchased eggs), but I've had both patterns show up in chicks from a single breeding pair that I collected eggs from locally. All our blond chicks have grown up to be cockerels so far, but I'm assured by the Olandsk Dwarf Facebook page folks that they've had pullets with this pattern, as well.

I should be seeing what the SilkieXCochins cooked up on Dec 19 and 20. I was late to getting those eggs marked as I didn't think that hen had gone broody. Initially, we had 11 eggs under one broody. Over the past couple of weeks 3 more pullets decided they would join the fun. I have candled within the last week and tossed the clears so now we are down to 7 viable eggs.

So I put some eggs in the incubator the same time that one of my hens went broody. Today is Day 20 and I go out into the chicken coop to see this.

View attachment 1982655

Already dry, fluffy and walking around. There is no action going on in the incubator. May need to candle them tonight to see if there are any internal pips.
So cute! I love seeing broodies with their little ones. I'm guessing that you are going to try to sneak any that hatch from the incubator under the brooty?

Back
Top Bottom