December hatch-along?

Pics
Welp, first BantamCochin/Sikie chick is out, and by out I mean I found it alone outside the coop 25 minutes ago. I placed it under the alpha hen who has been sitting since day 1. We had 5 broodies sitting now this AM I assume because of the cheeping from the eggs. We culled out the two most recent broody hens so we have 3 and locked the coop door so we do not have a repeat performance. We are now thinking it should only be two broody hens and segregating nests for the 6 eggs remaining.

Last edited:
Up to 3 blue cream Silkies hatched. 3 left, 1 is pipped. 2 out of 4 chocolate English Orps have pipped. Hopefully the hatch will continue going well.

The first baby is so fluffy now, he can sometimes look a little like a beached whale. A beautiful whale, of course. :gig
A6BDD2DD-A478-4038-8354-55FF070FBA3C.jpeg

So one hatched last night that had not pipped. the one that had pipped was fine this morning, 24 hours after pipping, had to take mom to town for her dr's appt and when I got back was going to help it, it had passed, it had shrink wrapped. first chick in 20 years that I had happen to me. Noticed the shell was extra thick so that might have been the main cause. As I was going to toss the rest of the eggs, seeing it was day 24, as I picked one up I felt thumps from the shell. So i'll give it another day

This morning all chicks but 1 has hatched. It is doing okay. I helped one out that pipped yesterday afternoon, but it sat with a big ole hole in the egg until it shrink wrapped itself. That chick, the one currently hatching, and the last Silkie hatches, are all still in the incubator.

Will take pics once they’re all in the small brooder. It’s been a long time since I’ve had this good of a hatch, now to figure out what to do with all this fluff balls.

Back
Top Bottom