Decent money

Apr 13, 2021
Australia
Anyone here figured out how to successfully make some decent, or even maybe not so decent but still good cash from your chickens or poultry? Maybe a different animal, as a hobby or a business. Maybe you already did it and gave up maybe Ur still doing it, either way let us know.. or don't. šŸ”šŸ¦†

Or what would be your ideal goal with this if you where to make it happen? Everyone here obviously likes these animals, and working/spending time with them, so how would you go about it.

So far never made any money off the flock here it's been a hobby, have given some eggs away for free to friends, but am thinking it's about time to step it up a bit.

In general, you have to go BIG to make money.

however, a niche market might net you some cash.

1. Sell washed/sanitized feathers for costume/crafts/fly fishing. I know of one person that would raise pheasants (a few) and sell the long tail feathers for costumes.

2. Get really good at one or a few breeds, that are show worthy and that WIN. I hear serious breeders cull 90-95% of their hatched. Cull does not mean kill-it means to remove, so often the culls are sold as regular chickens.

3. Raw-feed animals. We know of a quail farm that is successful and will sell males to people that feed their dogs a raw food diet.

4. Get certified/inspected...whatever required to sell eggs. Maybe duck eggs as they are more unique. In the states, we have to go through a higher level of inspection to sell to a grocery/bakery/restaurant, but could be a good Avenue.

5. Learn to caponize and sell Capons. Of course, this depends on how your laws are set up.

In general, you have to go BIG to make money.
Yep!

The money I make on selling eggs just pays for the bags of feed. I have a small flock of 16 so it isnā€™t large enough to make a profit.
This is what I do....for the most part, eggs sales covers feed costs.
After tracking costs for 7 years, I'm still in the red.
yeah, it's a hobby.

Iā€™ve found that people would rather pay $1 for eggs at walmart than even $2 for my eggs. When I gave away eggs when the pandemic started people were sure around with their hands out though. It depends on where you live and what the market is. There are a lot of poor folks around my neck of the woods and Iā€™m not giving eggs away for. So I use them myself or trade with neighbors.

Iā€™ve found that people would rather pay $1 for eggs at walmart than even $2 for my eggs. When I gave away eggs when the pandemic started people were sure around with their hands out though. It depends on where you live and what the market is. There are a lot of poor folks around my neck of the woods and Iā€™m not giving eggs away for. So I use them myself or trade with neighbors.
Its disappointing that you can't sell them. I sell most of mine, and even at $3 a dozen I can't keep up with the demand. I'm not going to raise the price. Egg sales pay for the feed with a little left over for bedding and other small items. I also give some away to family. I will never pay for the coop this way, but that's ok.

I sell most of mine, and even at $3 a dozen I can't keep up with the demand. I'm not going to raise the price. Egg sales pay for the feed with a little left over for bedding and other small items. I also give some away to family. I will never pay for the coop this way, but that's ok.
I am hoping that when my chicks-to-come start laying, I have enough eggs to sell some to neighbors who have expressed an interest. As others have said, I hope to cover the cost of food, maybe a little more.

You will need to find a niche market to make "decent" money, as @Acre4Me said. That could take some time (months? years?) and an outlay of capital. Ditto on the "go big" avenue. Before you jump into any major expenditures, look to see what's out there already. If you're just "another person selling feathers," for example, you need to be different enough to attract attention. If you're the first person selling feathers, then you might get somewhere. Or maybe not.

Do your homework first to see if chickens can be an avenue for making cash. Good luck!

Haven't been able to make a business out of it, because we live in a town where almost everyone has chickens, and they don't treat theirs as well as we treat ours. Transportation cost and increased gas prices make it impossible to go somewhere else and make a profit out of selling eggs for example. But maybe we'll have better luck selling our roosters (at least to cover the cost of the feed) last time we sold 4 cockrells (at half of the price we were expecting šŸ˜) but we were able to purchase feed, this is a fighting breed and out rooster turns out his sons quite handsome; don't like much the idea of selling because we know what purpose they'll serve ultimately... But in this time, with the pandemic, and how complicated things are... The other thought is to eventually sacrifice them so we'll have meat, but that's still a bit of a work in progress also.

I hatch purebred chicks in my incubators. So I sell chicks, ducks, turkeys, peachicks, now goslings, used to sell quail.
I sell some adult birds, some meat (when we had them usda inspected; otherwise to family), some eggs, and hatching eggs.
The most profitable things for me to sell are purebred hatching eggs and hatched chicks.
I'm able to keep the birds I enjoy and pay for their feed.

Back
Top Bottom