Decided I'm going to do it myself... But how?

Gallusfarm

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Hi,

DH has been telling me all summer not to worry about all of the excess roos, because he would process them. Yet every weekend he makes excuses and I can't afford to feed these birds! I've decided that I'm going to do it myself. The plan is not to pluck, but to just skin them and put in the crock pot...

So, for the killing part, I really want to put something over their head, like a trash bag so I don't have to see their faces. I don't have a killling cone or anything like that....

What is the easiest way? I can't do the twist the neck thing... Do you have any suggestions? This is something that I really want to do and need to learn how to do. Maybe once I feel comfortable doing it, I can try it without the covered head, later.

Thanks for your advice.

I personally have not done this. I would pass out and chop my hand off with the stupid knife.

My husband does the game dressing method which is just skinning the whole birds. There is a step by step video I think on youtube. I know there are some posts on here about game dressing chickens. All you need is a sharp knife. He didn't cover their heads but I would think even a loose dark sock or something could be used. He just lays them on their back till they fall asleep. Lays them on this huge tree trunk and off with the head.

Good luck

Sorry, can't help you with the killing part, but here is a link to a very helpful video on the rest of the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo6Qlaff_4

Thanks
Nancy
smile.png
here is the Polyface farms video

Last edited:
Anything of a funnel shape and big enough to hold the bird can be used for a killing cone. In my opinion this is the safest and least traumatic way for you and very humane for the bird. Good luck and look through the videos on u tube by polyface farms. They are very informative.
Nancy

Second the comments on killing cones, but here's another piece of advice...

When I did mine, the folks had a setup that included buckets set up on log ends such that you could not see the blood flowing or the heads or anything unless you got up close and looked down in. The edge of the bucket was up higher than the bottom edge of the cone (though not by much... maybe an inch). You reached into the bucket and grabbed the head (thus covering most of it up unless you have awfully tiny hands), manuevered it to where you could see what you were doing, and sliced the throat. Then you backed off while they bled out. Less mess this way, too, of course.

I was so worried about doing the slice correctly and without losing fingers that I didn't even look at the hen's face. I don't even remember what I could see totally... maybe the underside of the beak?

Back
Top Bottom