Deciding between two roosters

Some roosters are fantastic roosters, they are true flock masters, they keep their girls together, peace in the flock, tidbit, dance, find nests, vigilant awareness for predators. A flock with such a rooster is a pleasure to watch.

A lot of roosters do not come anywhere close to a flock master. A lot of roosters are not any good at most of those traits. So no point in keeping a rotten rooster towards you and the hens, hoping he will be good at predators.

I would wait until your girls are laying. I would look for someone local, who is successful at free ranging with your predators, and see if they have an extra rooster, or know someone who does.

Hens will not be depressed when a rough rooster is removed from the flock. They may dance with glee!

Mrs K

Some roosters are fantastic roosters, they are true flock masters, they keep their girls together, peace in the flock, tidbit, dance, find nests, vigilant awareness for predators. A flock with such a rooster is a pleasure to watch.

A lot of roosters do not come anywhere close to a flock master. A lot of roosters are not any good at most of those traits. So no point in keeping a rotten rooster towards you and the hens, hoping he will be good at predators.

I would wait until your girls are laying. I would look for someone local, who is successful at free ranging with your predators, and see if they have an extra rooster, or know someone who does.

Hens will not be depressed when a rough rooster is removed from the flock. They may dance with glee!

Mrs K
Thank you so much for this valuable information. I would love to have a rooster like that. Out of 4 we have not been able to get one yet but maybe that's because we thought they were hens and didn't raise them the way a rooster should be raised. Good to know the hens will not be depressed too. Funny how sweet they get as they mature vs how mean the males get. I've been talking to some local folks and we're hoping to find a good one.

Back
Top Bottom