Deciding between two roosters

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
We are down to two roosters and five hens and one has to go, but we're having a hard time deciding which one. They are about 17 weeks old. One barred rock (alpha) and an easter egger. The barred rock is the flock protector but has also become more aggressive lately. He has come after me a few times and I've swatted him away but now I think he sees me as a threat and comes after me more. Do they just get worse? Is there any way to change their behavior?

The easter egger who is the beta (but has bitten me once). We plan to add more hens this fall. I'm not sure which one has to go at this point because if we take out the barred rock, then the EE could become more aggressive. If we take out the EE the barred rock is definitely a better protector but I'm concerned about how he's going to be around kids if they come to visit or other people.

They all free range on a large property with woods and wildlife so we were keeping a a roo to protect them but another thought is to have no roos which would be a lot less stress on the hens. I feel bad for them getting mounted all the time but I also want then protected. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

(This is my personal opinion)
I would definitely not keep an aggressive cockerel or rooster, so not the BR. You could try taking him out, and see how the EE shapes up.
If he also gets aggressive, then consider trying again for a nicer rooster, either by finding an older one that someone else is re-homing with a proven temperament, or by getting a couple more chicks and keeping the best out of them.
Cockerels do seem to turn out nicer when they grow up with mature hens that keep them in line.
Bty, human aggression isn't normally linked to aggression against predators, in other words you can have a rooster that is a great protector of his hens, but still very good to handle.

We are down to two roosters and five hens and one has to go, but we're having a hard time deciding which one. They are about 17 weeks old. One barred rock (alpha) and an easter egger. The barred rock is the flock protector but has also become more aggressive lately. He has come after me a few times and I've swatted him away but now I think he sees me as a threat and comes after me more. Do they just get worse? Is there any way to change their behavior?

The easter egger who is the beta (but has bitten me once). We plan to add more hens this fall. I'm not sure which one has to go at this point because if we take out the barred rock, then the EE could become more aggressive. If we take out the EE the barred rock is definitely a better protector but I'm concerned about how he's going to be around kids if they come to visit or other people.

They all free range on a large property with woods and wildlife so we were keeping a a roo to protect them but another thought is to have no roos which would be a lot less stress on the hens. I feel bad for them getting mounted all the time but I also want then protected. Any tips would be great! Thanks!
At 17 weeks they are just hormonal teenagers and behave as such.

How about hatching some of the eggs and then keeping one of the cockerels to be raised by the flock? Usually, cockerels raised by older hens will learn how to behave properly around chickens and humans.
Same age cockerels as yours often behave like jerks with the pullets and get into hormonal overdrive with noone around to show them the ropes and good behaviour.

How did you raise them, did you have lots of contact and cuddles when they were chicks?
Do you pick up the pullets much with the cockerels nearby? When hens/pullets make distressed sounds like squaking because they don't like to be held, this will tick the males off and they start to defend them.

(This is my personal opinion)
I would definitely not keep an aggressive cockerel or rooster, so not the BR. You could try taking him out, and see how the EE shapes up.
If he also gets aggressive, then consider trying again for a nicer rooster, either by finding an older one that someone else is re-homing with a proven temperament, or by getting a couple more chicks and keeping the best out of them.
Cockerels do seem to turn out nicer when they grow up with mature hens that keep them in line.
Bty, human aggression isn't normally linked to aggression against predators, in other words you can have a rooster that is a great protector of his hens, but still very good to handle.
Yes, that makes sense. This is our first flock and we were told to get a rooster chick with the hens at the same time so they grow up together. The BR is the patroller in front of the coop, walking back and forth guarding the girls and getting them inside at night. It's cool to watch but then when I go over there to change their water or something he is not happy about it. Especially in the evenings. If we take out the BR, should we mostly try to ignore the EE to prevent the same behavior? If he turns out the same, we'll get sexed rooster chick or maybe an older male that needs rehoming but isn't aggressive. Roosters are tough!

Last edited:
I would not keep an aggressive rooster. If you have children, the time is now, today. The time is now anyway.
The EE may be okay, time will tell. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

At 17 weeks they are just hormonal teenagers and behave as such.

How about hatching some of the eggs and then keeping one of the cockerels to be raised by the flock? Usually, cockerels raised by older hens will learn how to behave properly around chickens and humans.
Same age cockerels as yours often behave like jerks with the pullets and get into hormonal overdrive with noone around to show them the ropes and good behaviour.

How did you raise them, did you have lots of contact and cuddles when they were chicks?
Do you pick up the pullets much with the cockerels nearby? When hens/pullets make distressed sounds like squaking because they don't like to be held, this will tick the males off and they start to defend them.
That seems to be what's happening. The BR is mostly pretty good but surprises me here and there and he's only 17 weeks so I imagine he could get worse. This is our first flock so we were definitely more attentive with all of them but tried not to pay too much attention to the roo. We didn't know we had four at the time though lol.
I would not keep an aggressive rooster. If you have children, the time is now, today. The time is now anyway.
The EE may be okay, time will tell. Let us know how it goes, good luck!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. We do not have young children but kids do come to visit so that can be dangerous.

To be honest, let both of these go. Neither one is turning out. There is a REAL possibility of them attacking children. The way to get a good rooster, is not to keep a rotten one. If you want a rooster, wait until most of your pullets are laying. Look around locally, people always have extra roosters. This is what you want:
  • a rooster that has grown up in a multi-generational flock
  • a rooster that is close to a year old
  • a rooster that is so darn nice, the owner didn't cull him, who would of culled him if he had not been so good.
Mrs K

To be honest, let both of these go. Neither one is turning out. There is a REAL possibility of them attacking children. The way to get a good rooster, is not to keep a rotten one. If you want a rooster, wait until most of your pullets are laying. Look around locally, people always have extra roosters. This is what you want:
  • a rooster that has grown up in a multi-generational flock
  • a rooster that is close to a year old
  • a rooster that is so darn nice, the owner didn't cull him, who would of culled him if he had not been so good.
Mrs K
Yeah both have bitten us and are rough with the hens. I'm concerned about predators which is why we thought one rooster would be good to have. We have a lot of woods with foxes, coyotes and raccoons. The older rooster that has been proven is a great idea. 1 year vs a few years matter? I guess at one year they are at least past the hormonal phase. My two are at the hens constantly and they're rough.

Will hens get depressed when they lose their alpha roo? Last question :), should I wait until spring when the hens are older (17 weeks now) or go ahead and get the older rooster for protection?

Swatting the rooster away triggered him.
I would say not the barred only because I would not want to have all black chicks. (His offspring)
I figured that. Natural instincts kick in when they do that so I don't know how to avoid that. Good point about the chicks. We have several black hens and it seems to help keep the hawks away because they think they're crows (supposedly).

Back
Top Bottom