Deciding if chickens are right for me

Welcome!

I'm obviously biased towards saying "yes" to backyard chickens, but your hobbies would go well with them. I have a walk-in run and read in there with my birdies almost every morning when the weather is nice. They would probably harass you and try to eat your yarn if you tried to crochet in there, but reading with the birds happily clucking the space around you is really peaceful. I also garden, and produce way too much for just me, so the birdies get all the extras and love it.

Glad to meet you, Dani. You are asking the choir to tell you if church is good. Hah. We are all very biased. We do love our birds, and most of us find them very soothing to be around. You may as well.

In addition to the article mentioned above, here is another article that you might find helpful in your decision making. It's also a very good intro to chicken keeping, but starts at the very beginning - deciding whether to get chickens. I hope you do decide to keep chickens, just because I am loving it, but you should decide for yourself, whether it fits you.

Please let us know!

Hello Dani! Welcome to BYC!

I'm new to chickens myself and I'm going to offer you a piece of advice:

My family jumped into owning chickens with zero research (smart, huh?). If we had known how much work was going to be involved, then we probably would not have got them at all. But now that we have them, I love them to the moon and back!

If you're unsure of whether or not you want to keep any, maybe start off with a few rescue chickens? You can even get yourself an older rooster if you want to try your hands at it (I love mine so much! They're little gentlemen and they make for better watchdogs than our actual dog!). But I suggest rescue chickens so you KNOW the gender, breed, and general temperament of the birds you're getting.

Learn beforehand how many you'd get so you can purchase or build the correct housing (if buying, I suggest Amish made coops!), prepare an appropriate sized run unless you plan on free ranging (in which case I'd definitely say get yourself a well-mannered rooster), and buy some feed, feeders, waterers, toys, what-have-you.

And if you're not quite ready to dip into the pool, maybe you can volunteer at a local farm to get the chicken experience you need/want. Many farms usually appreciate the help of volunteers.

Hope some of this helps!

Back
Top Bottom