Deciding on a flooring for our run before the rainy season gets here

Thanks all. I think my Dad wants to try wood chips, and I plan to go with that because I think it will be healthier than the bark mulch (for one thing I've read that bark mulch can harbor aspergillosis and can hold water (which is why its useful for plants). Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of with the wood chips (I'm hoping we can get a kind that will weather well - not mold - and be reasonably soft for their feet).

I think (I will read up on it), I may try some variation of the deep litter method to help with the organic material (shavings, leaves, etc in the run).

Also, do you have any suggestions on accommodating their urge to scratch (maybe putting a layer of sand underneath the chips). I noticed two of my chickens kicking the bark mulch everywhere today, and one of them taking a dust bath in it. It started me thinking that they may not be able to do that as easily with the chips (depending on what size they are).

Thanks,

Susan
Regarding wood chips; no cedar. Otherwise, go for it.

Regarding scratching and generally wreaking havoc in the bedding? Not a darn thing you can do. Sand won't hurt, but it will eventually be mixed in.
Take heart in the fact that even as they scratch it in piles, they will scratch it out again.
Make sure the sides of your run are deep enough to accommodate deep litter and the scratching.

Thanks for your reply. I should clarify that I was concerned about what they would do if they couldn't scratch very well. I'd rather they use up their energy scratching than in more objectionable ways (such as feather picking)
smile.png

If your wanting to do deep litter, don't put a layer of sand down first. Just throw your shavings/leaves on top of the dirt you have now. You want the worms/bugs coming up through the dirt into the deep litter. This will help it to "compost". It will also give the chickens something to dig for, specially after it rains.

Mine love to dig in the dl. They really enjoy dust bathing in it too! I have a dust bath for them, that they do use, but they still like to take a bath in the litter.

Be sure and don't use DE in your litter. It will kill the "good" bugs that come up in the litter.

Put down the wood chips, go deep, like 8-10 inches.

They will slowly decompose into nice soft compost.

It will take a few years to completely decompose, but add and keep the 8-10 inch depth.

Chickens will love it.

Add leaf litter if you want a softer bedding right away for the birds to dig deep.

Last edited:
There are several 'sand' threads that cover a lot of these issues.

The deep litter method is a wonderful alternative, just not one I am using. SusanD, you may want to look at the thread about this option.

I mix some PDZ in with my sand. The poop desiccates and disappears very quickly. It is directly over ground, so there is moisture wicking in, of course, and the sand will gradually work its way into the soil, and new sand will need to be added, probably about once per year.
The chickens dust bathe in the sandy run at times.

It is extremely easy to spot clean as well, which I do in summer to control flies (no problem with flies in our back yard with this system).
I don't mind doing this, it takes about 5 minutes, when I spot clean the coop. The sandy poop goes into my compost; sand is part of any soil mixture.

Anyway, it works for me.
What is PDZ? I have an open run and use grass clippings and some shredded leaves. I haven't had any problem with mold because the birds scratch which turns it and keeps it from staying wet. With the winter coming, I was planning on using shredded mulch. I clean my run once a week now with spot checks every day. I plan on putting a roof on half of the run because I only have netting against Hawks but it won't hold up to snow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom