Deciding Which Breeds to Get

Chewbagawk

Chirping
May 15, 2015
Central California - Bay Area
Howdy everyone. I'm going to be buying some chicks from the feed store within a week or so, and I'm having some trouble deciding which breeds I want. I will be buying four chicks, and I've pretty much decided the breeds for three of them. 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock, and I'm having trouble on the fourth one. I've been seriously considering a SL Wyandotte, but I'm not certain that the feed store has that breed. The store is not very close, so if I go there I'm buying chickens! Is there any common breed that you would recommend instead of a Wyandotte? Thank you!

Last edited:
It rather depends on what you want; pet, eggs, meat, other. You might want to click on "BREEDS" at the top of this page. Each breed has something to offer. My wife and I decided we wanted the smallest breed possible. We live in town and we wanted small birds, small eggs-there's just the two of us, and we wanted quiet. With these characteristics in mind we started reading and looking. We now have 11 serama chicks. The breed (hopefully) has all the trait we desire. The chicks are so small-unbelievable. I recommend you do the same-decide what you would like and start looking and reading.

Yeah I've been researching breeds for the longest time, just I'm not sure about the store having all of the breeds I want. Plus, I didn't know if one breed gets along better with those more than another breed, or if a certain breed would provide a better mix. I've picked these breeds for egg production and temperament, and also somewhat for their looks.

Yeah I've been researching breeds for the longest time, just I'm not sure about the store having all of the breeds I want. Plus, I didn't know if one breed gets along better with those more than another breed, or if a certain breed would provide a better mix. I've picked these breeds for egg production and temperament, and also somewhat for their looks.

You are right in thinking some breeds are more aggressive than others. Try looking through the "BREEDS' section above. Can you contact the feed store and see what breeds they have? Then you'd know what breeds to research

You are right in thinking some breeds are more aggressive than others. Try looking through the "BREEDS' section above. Can you contact the feed store and see what breeds they have? Then you'd know what breeds to research
He said he shifts his stock around a lot, and it depends on what's selling for him. I should have clarified a bit better, haha, I want recommendations for spur of the moment decisions. For example, they're out of RIRs, but they have Easter Eggers. Is that a good choice?

He said he shifts his stock around a lot, and it depends on what's selling for him. I should have clarified a bit better, haha, I want recommendations for spur of the moment decisions. For example, they're out of RIRs, but they have Easter Eggers. Is that a good choice?

I love my Easter Eggers and they get along well in my mixed flock. Their eggs are large and colorful. An australorp could be a good choice or if you want a darker egg, a welsumer. (Marans also lay beautiful dark eggs but the number of eggs isn't as high as many other breeds Sex links lay well, too. So many good choices.

I love my Easter Eggers and they get along well in my mixed flock.  Their eggs are large and colorful.  An australorp  could be a good choice or if you want a darker egg, a welsumer.  (Marans also lay beautiful dark eggs but the number of eggs isn't as high as many other breeds  Sex links lay well, too.  So many good choices.
Thanks for those suggestions! Since it's my first time, I don't know how mixed flocks work. As I understand some breeds get picked on more, some are really flighty and mess with the mojo of the rest of the flock, etc. I know all of the breeds as individuals, just all of them as a group, it's a mystery to me haha

Thanks for those suggestions! Since it's my first time, I don't know how mixed flocks work. As I understand some breeds get picked on more, some are really flighty and mess with the mojo of the rest of the flock, etc. I know all of the breeds as individuals, just all of them as a group, it's a mystery to me haha

If you get them at the same time they should adapt pretty well to each other. I've had minimal problems adding a few chickens a year. mostly I have heritage breeds but there are so many breeds I want to try. The following I've gotten from reading only but it's been said don't mix Mediterranean breeds with heritage or other breeds. They're flightier and have different energy levels.
My breeds need to be cold tolerant. I prefer smaller combs, and I'm breeding for a colorful egg basket. My flock consists of both pure and mixed breeds.

If you get them at the same time they should adapt pretty well to each other.  I've had minimal problems adding a few chickens a year.  mostly I have heritage breeds but there are so many breeds I want to try.  The following I've gotten from reading only but it's been said don't mix Mediterranean  breeds with heritage or other breeds. They're flightier and have different energy levels. 
     My breeds need to be cold tolerant.  I prefer smaller combs, and I'm breeding for a colorful egg basket.  My flock consists of both pure and mixed breeds.
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to stay with pure breeds for my first flock, and if they're American then that's a plus. I did not know that the Mediterranean chickens are more flighty, but then again I didn't think about whether or not there were Mediterranean chickens, haha. Although, I'm in a pretty moderate climate in California, so I guess in the future I can look at any and all breeds!

Back
Top Bottom