Decision on putting my chicken down

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cronks5, Jan 11, 2015.

1. cronks5

cronks5 Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2015
    my first ever chicken, cocopuff, a beautiful silkie only 4 months old I had to put down due to an infection. It was the worst thing and everyday I wonder if I made the right decision. My rooster pecked her on the side of the head and I cleaned the cut out but I guess not good enough a week later she buried herself in the dirt and stayed outside all night and when I checked in the morning she was gasping for air and couldn't walk. The vet said the infection was too far gone and to put her down. Have any of you had something like this happen? I feel I should of let her fight a little longer maybe she would have gotten better but vets do know what they are talking about most of the time. I was just curious if anyone had the same situation. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Hello and Welcome to BYC. I am very sorry for your loss! [​IMG] I have never had anything like this happen, but it's normally a good idea to listen to a vet. If she were kept alive, she might have had to suffer, and probably wouldn't have recovered. At least you'll know she passed on not having to live like that.

1 person likes this.
  3. cronks5

cronks5 Just Hatched

Jan 11, 2015
    Yea that is a positive way of looking at it!

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I have gone thru sad times in the past. Bad bad feeling, but you have to pick up and keep going forward. Sad even when after 13 years you loose one to natural causes. But I have lost 3 in a week period to a respiratory disease .. It wasn't pretty. Then there were others. Get yourself more chickens and enjoy them. They are therapeutic to your soul. ( I do mean your feelings ) Roosters seem to be troublemakers and often aggressive. I have none. WISHING YOU BEST.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry for your loss![​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry about your silkie. I'm noticing more and more people (established chicken folks) are going rooster-less. Hens will lay eggs regardless of whether a rooster is present or not. You only need a rooster if you want fertile eggs to hatch. Roosters seem to cause a lot of misery and hens are a lot happier without them around.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG] Never beat yourself up as to what you should have done differently. Some things are out of our control. You did the best you could in the end, gave her a good home while she was alive. And this is all that matters. Know that she is now resting in the arms of the Creator.

I am so sorry. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your Silkie. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by