Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I just confirmed that I lost 3 more blue/black eggs, and 3 of the lavender eggs that are in the hatcher.

All three of the blue/black eggs were "shrink wrapped" when I opened them and the chicks were well developed. Two of the lavenders had quit developing somewhere in the last 7 days, and one was nicely developed but was also "shrink wrapped."

Now "shrink wrapping" is usually due to a lack of humidity, however the humidity in my HB hatcher has been 60% or better since I started it up, and lately its been running around 80%. I've also taken out the fan so these eggs were completely in a 'still air' envrionment since Monday, with no air blowing directly on them.

WHY am I loosing so many chicks to "Shrink Wrapping?" I'm getting severely tired of this.

I've lost eggs to a shorted out LG, lost eggs due to low humidity in the cabinet incubator, lost eggs to a forced air fan, and now I'm still loosing eggs after changing everything that I can.

I REALLY want to go in and crack this little lavender egg open because i dont want to loos it too, but I dont want to rush it. I know he is still alive because I can see him moving after candeling, and I can hear him tapping on the inside of the egg. And before you go off saying that I shouldn't have opened the bator, I know I shouldn't but this isn't my first rodeo and I can pretty much tell when eggs are dead.

I just want to know why! I am so feeling like Sally Fields in Steele Magnolias.... "I'm so mad, I just want to know why, why, why..."

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Go to the local farm supply and buy yourself some cute little chicks so you'll feel better. Little chick always make me smile. They also feed this crazy chicken obsession!

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Maybe youll want to check your hygrometer...

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know anything about bators, just wanted to give you [​IMG]

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Its digital and has always been accurate. How do I check its accuracy?

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Its digital and has always been accurate. How do I check its accuracy?

I agree. I dont know how to check it, but I would just get another one.

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    1/2 cup salt and just enough water to make it pasty. Put in a mug and put the mug in a zip lock baggie.
    Lay the hygrometer along side and seal.
    Leave in a room around 70 degrees for 12 hrs.

If it is accurite it should read 75 %. If it reads 4 degrees over thenwhen you are using it just take that into consideration or lower as well.

9. berryhill chicks

berryhill chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    southeast louisiana
    may help to spray eggs daily with warm water, maybe twice daily

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:that helps to remove moisture from the egg, thus making the air cell larger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by