Decisions, decisions..

4, three and a half month old cockerels bit the dust today. I did the broomstick method and ended up decapitating every single one of them. A coworker came over and helped with the process, so I gave her two of the boys for helping. Since they're small, they were skinned. I should have weighed them.

Dead weight for one of them is 2.5lbs while the other is only 2lbs. I don't know about the ones she took home - should have weighed them before she left.

Attachments

• 20221105_102636.jpg
    20221105_102636.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 3
I was just going to suggest that when 3 KillerB did and nicely gave me credit.

Roosters are a crap shoot, I did wind up keeping the old boy this summer. Only to get everything situated perfectly by culling the extra roosters and selling a few hens...only have get hit hard with a predator when I had them out and about. Sometimes this is a very hard hobby.

But the other advice is good too, look around, ask at the feed store, talk to 4-H kids, there are other crazy chicken people out there and often times they have such a nice rooster that he did not get culled. Could be a perfect fit for you

You can be a bit more picky about a rooster. After having Bye, he kind of spoiled me, he was such a great rooster. I still miss him. The knot-head I have now, is nothing to write home about. He is not aggressive...but he sure is not Bye.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom