Deck Opinions?

catobsessed

Songster
6 Years
Sep 8, 2016
So my humble area got hit a bit hard by Hurricane Zeta, and well, we pretty much lost two coops. My dad is building two new above ground ones, and wants to line the bottom with chicken wire... But I’m worried that a raccoon could break in, even though it’s off the ground. Is there something similar to chicken wire he could use? Or a good way to raccoon proof? I already lost one to a neighbors dog during the storm, my heart can’t take anymore losses due to predators. 💔
84662689-B97C-41BD-9BBC-1650B558F8D9.jpeg

Wait...by 'line the bottom' do you mean to enclose the part of the coop under the run, or use the wire for the floor? I'd still use hardware cloth either way, but knowing which you're going for would be helpful.

Wait...by 'line the bottom' do you mean to enclose the part of the coop under the run, or use the wire for the floor? I'd still use hardware cloth either way, but knowing which you're going for would be helpful.
I had assumed they meant as a floor, but that is a very useful distinction to make

Hardware cloth. But I'd really recommend a solid bottom with bedding, as it's much easier to clean and better for their feet.
No im totally with you. My dad is really stubborn and thinks this is the smart way bc the poop will fall through the wire. It’s going to have a second floor for them that will have solid flooring.

Back
Top Bottom