Decreased egg production- what am I doing wrong?

KnightsMist

Songster
Jan 18, 2019
Massachusetts
TLDR version: My hens have slowed egg production since early May but have also undergone changes to routine (less free range time), increased predator threats (fox family), and integration of new chicks (at 8 weeks old). Is decreased production a result of this stress? Or could there be underlying health issues?

Longer version:
This is my first spring/summer with adult hens (got my first chicks a year ago) so I'm still learning what's nornal vs not. I have 14 adult hens (all 1 yr old) and recently integrated 9 babies with them (10 weeks old now, integrated 2 weeks ago). I have a large coop and fenced run and they free range a little bit when I and my farm dog (who guards for predators) are around.

About 6 weeks ago a fox family moved in on our property. My dog is doing a good job protecting the girls, but the foxes are definitely making appearances near daily. The girls used to free range a lot more, but I've been much more cautious with the foxes- already almost lost 1 girl (saved by my dog!). I also have a hen who's been broody for about 2 weeks.

SO- a lot going on and changes happening. I'm a bit of a nerd and also sell extra eggs so I like to keep track of how many eggs I get daily and also look at monthly totals, so I can very quickly and easily see any trends. The girls were extremely productive in March and April, averaging 10+ eggs per day, but since early May (coinciding with the arrival of the foxes), the average has dropped to 8 (May) and now 7 (June to date) per day. Some days I'm just getting 5 from them. Beliw are monthly totals (June through today):
March280
April342
May274
June103

Is this normal fluctuation? Do they normally drop off in late spring/early summer? Could it just be all of the stress?

I have noticed that some of the girls are laying eggs without shells, and with the integration of the babies, they have been eating grower feed instead of layer feed (with free choice oyster shells)- guessing this is related? I did just start mixing in layer feed back in. I've also been giving probiotics in case that helps. Some of the girls have had dirty bums so not sure if anything is going on there.

Am I doing something wrong? Or will they do better soon?

It's normal for production to slow after the spring surge, and going into the summer heat. There is multiple reasons, most have to do with hotter weather and waning hormones.

Eggs without shells can be a sign production is taking a break in some hens. Grower ration should have more protein than a layer and should help with production.

I have a large coop and fenced run
How large, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

I did just start mixing in layer feed back in.
Not good for the chicks, and not enough for the layers.
Are they eating the OS?
They might not 'get it'.
How do you offer it?
Try sprinkling some around on the ground and/or sprinkling a few pieces on top of the feed.
I've also been giving probiotics in case that helps.
No reason to do this, most feeds have plenty of probiotics in them, and it could be the reason for the loose poop butts..

How large, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Not good for the chicks, and not enough for the layers.
Are they eating the OS?
They might not 'get it'.
How do you offer it?
Try sprinkling some around on the ground and/or sprinkling a few pieces on top of the feed.

No reason to do this, most feeds have plenty of probiotics in them, and it could be the reason for the loose poop butts..

Thanks for the info Aart. My coop is 10x11 (space in my barn, so walk-in height) and my run is about 16x22, also walk in height. Both have lots of roost options, the coop has multiple feed and water stations and 8 nest boxes.

I have seen a couple of hens eating the oyster shells, not sure if others are as well. I have them in a double bowl dog dish (OS in 1 bowl, grit in the other) in between 2 hanging feeders. Mostly they seem to flick it out into the shavings.

Re: probiotics- yes, good point, I do now recall both the grower and layer feed bags mentioning that they have probiotics in the feed. So that's one thing I can stop doing (I was giving in a mash once or twice a week).

So, it sounds like maybe I'm not doing much wrong and this is just normal? I'm just trying to figure this all out- I get chickens aren't machines, and if decreased production happens over the summer that's OK and I can plan for it- just trying to figure out what to expect and want to make sure I'm taking proper care of my girls! They're pets, I want them to live happy and healthy lives :love

Attachments

• 20220605_190434.jpg
    20220605_190434.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220529_200725.jpg
    20220529_200725.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220430_114212.jpg
    20220430_114212.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom