Decreased Eggs/Day!!!!

sms1225

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
Southern Indiana
I have 24 hens, that started laying 2 months ago, the hens are almost 7 months old. Up until about 2 weeks ago I was getting on average 18 eggs/day. Perhaps I did not set the timer to extend the light hours soon enough?? We currently have naturally only 9 hours of daylight right now, and decreasing.

If the hens stop laying or decrease their volume per day, can extending the light using artificial light, cause them to lay at previously higher volumes, after they have already decreased their laying per day, or am I stuck with lower eggs per day because I screwed up???

Thanks for all your help. I am new to this. I received by day old chicks on May 1st. 12 RIR's, 10 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 3 Auracanas.

Susan:)

The natural rhythms are best. They will not lay full-tilt all the time. They may pick up a bit after they get used to the decreasing daylight or when we're on the upswing and the hours start increasing again, especially since they are in their first year. I dont add light for mine; it's been linked to cancer in laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom