Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I just found this thread today after I had to sell a very special rooster this morning. I've been crying my eyes out over having to get rid of my boy. I would have gladly paid $150 to keep him. I have one more special boy who hasn't started to crow yet and I'm dreading the day he starts. I wish there was someone in my area (central FL) who would do this surgery. My biggest concern about the procedure would be the shipping. Having to ship before and after surgery seems awfully stressful.

I LOVE this!!! I want a roo for my flock so badly so that I can raise some chicks but, my locale won't allow roosters. This would be perfect although the cost is a bit prohibitive.... I got my flock to save money on eggs and because I love my chickens...I wouldn't be able to afford that for a roo..... :(

Two days ago we had to re-home our Roo because a neighbor complained about him, Honestly if it was safe and avaliable I would have easily spent around $150 to have him decrowed. The neighbors have been at my house all day today asking where he is. So many little kids call him there favorite and even there parents are heart broken over him leaving. Even if we did call the little blighter nightmare, truth is for a Roo he was a good boy and we miss him.

I am all for this. I would definitely have the procedure done if my favorite litlle Polish bird started crowing. Think he's a male but hasn't crowed yet. I will first write a letter to my closest neighbor, we all have 5 acres, and ask if the crowing is bothering him. If it is, I definitely would have it done. Don't remove this post, I am glad I found it.

Checking with the neighbors should be the first thing to do. Its suprising how often people actually enjoy the sound of a crowing bird. I like it, but I've got probably at least 10 adult roos right now.

Hi
I live in Western Australia and I am a animal control officer here (ranger). I have roosters and we arent allowed them in town sight due to the crowing. I would be very interested in gaining some suggestions to your decrowing program. I work closely with the vets here and we have discussed any medical procedures before. My vet claimed that since roosters dont have a voice box then nothing can be done.. Have you got any procedures we can review so we can hopefully solve this problem...I looooove my chooks and Im trying to breed some rare species, but hopefully by not breaking the local law....Ha HA since I am the law...ooops
cheers
Im really looking forward from hearing from you...

we could change the world my friend LOL

I agree... Shipping a full grown bird seems like a recipie for disaster in MY opinion. That is assuming that you could even find a carrier that 'would' ship a full grown and live bird... Good luck trying to get insurance for THAT shipment/package... If the bird died on the return shipment the owner would be out a TON of money very quickly.

Hell, I would LOVE to take my dogs with me when I travel overseas but I know darn well that them riding in the cargo hold would FREAK them the heck out. (they are too big to ride in a carrier WITH me as per airline rules)

As for the people that think this may be 'cruel'... Give me a freakin break! How is this any worse than me deciding to eat the darn bird! Drives me nuts when those sort of people try to stick their noses in there and tell me what I can and can't do with MY animals. They are MY property thank you very much... If you don't like it move to europe or something - You should fit right in there with those people (people that gave up their 'rights' long ago). Most of these people that cry and whine the most about debarking dogs, tail cropping, and ear docking have NO FREAKIN PROBLEM if an owner wants to have their dog spayed or neutered... Most of the time they actually suggest that owners spay/neuter... How in the heck is trimming an ear or debarking a dog 'cruel' but it is 'ok' to cut their nuts off??? :he

1f44d.png
X2

Hi
I live in Western Australia and I am a animal control officer here (ranger). I have roosters and we arent allowed them in town sight due to the crowing. I would be very interested in gaining some suggestions to your decrowing program. I work closely with the vets here and we have discussed any medical procedures before. My vet claimed that since roosters dont have a voice box then nothing can be done.. Have you got any procedures we can review so we can hopefully solve this problem...I looooove my chooks and Im trying to breed some rare species, but hopefully by not breaking the local law....Ha HA since I am the law...ooops
cheers
Im really looking forward from hearing from you...

we could change the world my friend LOL
I spent a month in South Queensland working with some vets during my last year in vet school. I talked to a feed yard manager who was big into show "chooks" (had no idea what they were talking about at first, ha). He was very interested and wanted me to get ahold of him when I had it figured out, said i could "make a fortune". Seems chickens are getting to be a big deal down there. I plan on going back and visiting those folks some time and there was one vet there that was interested in learning this procedure. Laws down there are kind of weird though, dont know if it would even be legal or if the government would have something to say. Theres been a lot of people to make fun of me concerning this procedure, I still think there's a need.

Dr. James

I love the idea!!
thumbsup.gif
[Haven't read the whole thread yet.]

I know some folks don't agree but I have purchased sexed pullets that weren't pullets--purebred Ameraucanas, not EEs--and had a terrible time finding homes for them Doing this would have saved their lives.

I cannot have roosters where I live but have a bantam that I love. Have you ever done this on a bantam breed??

Also, do you know anyone near Philadelphia or the northeast that could do this perhaps??? Do you ever travel here??...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom