Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Hello people of the chicken world! Im Dr. James Richards, a vet in eastern OK. I have been working on a surgical procedure to help with the crowing that offends some people (neighbors). I believe there is a growing need to allow people to keep their roosters, when otherwise they would be killed because of noise. There is an increasing number of the backyard flocks now being raised in more urban settings. I understand that people have a special bond with their birds and removing an animal from your flock can be a hard thing to do. Also, a rooster is needed if you intend on hatching some chicks out of your birds (obviously
wink.png
) Personally, I really like the attitude and aesthetics they bring to a flock.

I was taught this procedure from a very experienced vet in AZ. I think that I have really tuned the procedure and seems to be very effective. I dont have any objective numbers yet, I don't have the right software to measure before and after noise levels. (any advice from the computer folks would be appreciated)

It is a thoracic surgery to modify the voice box of the bird. The birds are put under anesthesia and the procedure is performed in a sterile manner, just like any other surgery on your pet. But, just like any surgical procedure, there are risks. It does not stop the crowing behavior, but really decreases volume. I don't believe this ends up causing pain, since the roosters still posture, pop their wings and crow but much quiter. They really recover quickly and get back to being normal roosters just a few hours after the procedure, mating hens, eating etc.

Anyway, I may be offering this procedure at the clinic and am trying to get a feel for the demand for decrowed roosters. I may also offer pre-decrowed birds that I raise, but this will be in the future.

I know that there will be people out there that disagree with this concept. I feel that an elective surgery to save the animals life is not always a bad thing.

So please give me your input, good or bad on the subject of rooster decrowing.

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

p.s. Here is a youtube link of a silver duckwing rooster 10 days post surgery.
Hi Dr. James. Do you know a doctor in California that you can recommend for De-crowing my rooster. I live in Northern California. In San Jose, Santa Clara county.
San Francisco South Bay Area.

This would be so amazing!!
We have such beautiful and sweet roosters!
We live in texas and happily make the trip
Its such a simple procedure!
Why make it affordable?!
It maybe ok for you to pay for whatever price they charge , but I do have to know how much it’s going to cost me before I can say ok do it.
I live on a fixed income and I love my Ameroucana rooster. It’s big and beautiful.

Hi Dr. James. Do you know a doctor in California that you can recommend for De-crowing my rooster. I live in Northern California. In San Jose, Santa Clara county.
San Francisco South Bay Area.
@jammcor this is a very old thread(2012) and the thread starter has not been here since 2016....so don't expect a reply from them.

Translation: never underestimate the ridiculous amount of money people will spend on an animal.

I'm trying so hard to be respectful...I understand that everyone has to make a living and that you've put a lot of effort into satisfying what very well may be a niche market for rich idiots. But, oh my, no, just, NO! This is weird science and designer pets and...everything that makes me crazy.

I don't know if this is an accurate statistic at all, probably just an urban myth, but it sums up my response to your request for opinions relating to this designer pet surgery, "If we took the money Americans spend on their pets each year we could end childhood hunger."

So long as there are hungry children in our country, so long as there are parents who cannot feed their children, there are better uses for an extra $250 than de-crowing a rooster.
i know this is an old post.

i think just about everyone spends money on something someone else would say is a waste. i don’t think calling people idiots is the appropriate response. people may not even be rich, but save up or use their rainy day funds and everything they can to save the life of their little friend. you may not think pets are as important as people, but it feels to me like you are saying that a life-saving procedure isn’t worth it for my loved one. what if someone said you were an idiot for recklessly spending money on a life-saving procedure for a human because we are overpopulated and there are so many humans, just find a new one?
i think instead of shaming people who spend more to save a life, maybe consider working to change how the actual rich people are taxed. there are people who are so unfathomably rich that they could end problems like hunger and it wouldn’t make a dent in their money.

i have a little guy that i love so dearly. he sits on my shoulder and cuddles with me and i can’t imagine if someone took him away.
it doesn’t sound like you are the kind of person who would, but if you fell in love with a little guy, maybe you would understand.

@kk+chickens just want to add to your point:
Years ago we had cats, one of whom had kidney problems, he had to have his uretha stretched to pass kidney stones and was on a special diet. In a stupid decision, we decided to put that flea and tick oil between each cats' shoulders.
Well the one cat must have licked it off another cat's back. DH and I worked nights and DS was in his late teens.
DS called us at work, frantic. His cat was behaving like he was having a seizure. We told him to bathe the cat, washing all the fleas and tick oil off and call us back.
The bath didn't work and DS was frantic, so I told him to call my mother, wrap the cat in a towel and look into a certain draw in my bedroom for a certain credit card and head for the emergency vet.
When they got to the vet my son yelled "Save My Cat", they took the cat in the back and starting going through the credit cards for payment. My son had taken every credit card I owned and headed to the vet. So the poor receptionist was going through everything, trying to find something she could use. She was saying things like, we don't take Macy's; no not Dillard's or Banana Republic. Wait here is a Visa card, we can use that!! The cat stayed overnight and ended up being fine, but I would never use that buy it from the store, do it yourself flea and tick oil ever again.

Hello people of the chicken world! Im Dr. James Richards, a vet in eastern OK. I have been working on a surgical procedure to help with the crowing that offends some people (neighbors). I believe there is a growing need to allow people to keep their roosters, when otherwise they would be killed because of noise. There is an increasing number of the backyard flocks now being raised in more urban settings. I understand that people have a special bond with their birds and removing an animal from your flock can be a hard thing to do. Also, a rooster is needed if you intend on hatching some chicks out of your birds (obviously
wink.png
) Personally, I really like the attitude and aesthetics they bring to a flock.

I was taught this procedure from a very experienced vet in AZ. I think that I have really tuned the procedure and seems to be very effective. I dont have any objective numbers yet, I don't have the right software to measure before and after noise levels. (any advice from the computer folks would be appreciated)

It is a thoracic surgery to modify the voice box of the bird. The birds are put under anesthesia and the procedure is performed in a sterile manner, just like any other surgery on your pet. But, just like any surgical procedure, there are risks. It does not stop the crowing behavior, but really decreases volume. I don't believe this ends up causing pain, since the roosters still posture, pop their wings and crow but much quiter. They really recover quickly and get back to being normal roosters just a few hours after the procedure, mating hens, eating etc.

Anyway, I may be offering this procedure at the clinic and am trying to get a feel for the demand for decrowed roosters. I may also offer pre-decrowed birds that I raise, but this will be in the future.

I know that there will be people out there that disagree with this concept. I feel that an elective surgery to save the animals life is not always a bad thing.

So please give me your input, good or bad on the subject of rooster decrowing.

Thanks heaps.

Dr. James

p.s. Here is a youtube link of a silver duckwing rooster 10 days post surgery.

Please tell me where you are located as I have a rooster that we need to try to de-crow. We live in SC. Please text me to 864-202-0352 as soon as possible! Our city is making me get rid of our roosters and I want to keep one. He is a beautiful boy and takes care of our hens.
I just got the full write up that you wrote. I see you are in OK. Do you know of anyone in SC who does this procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Please tell me where you are located as I have a rooster that we need to try to de-crow. We live in SC. Please text me to 864-202-0352 as soon as possible! Our city is making me get rid of our roosters and I want to keep one. He is a beautiful boy and takes care of our hens.
I just got the full write up that you wrote. I see you are in OK. Do you know of anyone in SC who does this procedure?

Thanks in advance!
@jgnorthern this is a very old thread(2012) and the thread starter has not been here since 2016....so don't expect a reply from them.

Save my roosters! I live in town that will allow me 11 hens- but my interest in expensive purebred stock would require at least one rooster! I have had chickens all my life, and it seems a shame a cannot do this one small thing that would make me very happy since moving away from my farm.

Save my roosters! I live in town that will allow me 11 hens- but my interest in expensive purebred stock would require at least one rooster! I have had chickens all my life, and it seems a shame a cannot do this one small thing that would make me very happy since moving away from my farm.
Old thread. Poster hasn't been on jn 6 years

Back
Top Bottom