Deep Bedding in a Small Coop -- 9 Weeks of Accumulation

I believe that is what is known as "aggravated assault." Not to derail this thread, but please be careful when this guy is around.
We spoke about it and I made my point of view VERY clear on the matter. I don't kmow if it was a direct result of the incident/our conversation but he checked himself into rehab for alcohol abuse 2 wks later and did a 6 wk detox. So far he's stayed dry as far as i know. So maybe some good came out of it after all.

Deep bedding is the best, I love it! I haven't cleaned since September, dumped fresh shavings twice since then, and it looks and smells fine. The cleanup before September was last spring, and the system worked perfectly fine over the summer, too. No smell despite the heat. This is the best method.
Hi Kokoshka,
It‘s your neighbor (but in Indiana). I haven’t heard from you for a while. Our little chicks are almost ready to go to the coop. My question is, how thick bedding I should have when I move them in? Do you add some bedding (course pine shavings and Some people advise possibly title bit of straw) as they grow?

After I clean the bedding (about every 5-6 months) Should I start a new one with high level of shavings (6-7”)?

thank you,
rod

Hi Kokoshka,
It‘s your neighbor (but in Indiana). I haven’t heard from you for a while. Our little chicks are almost ready to go to the coop. My question is, how thick bedding I should have when I move them in? Do you add some bedding (course pine shavings and Some people advise possibly title bit of straw) as they grow?

After I clean the bedding (about every 5-6 months) Should I start a new one with high level of shavings (6-7”)?

thank you,
rod

When I set up my coop as a brooder last year I started with about 4 inches of coarse flake pine shavings. I added more as it seemed to need it until I got to the point of cleaning it all.

Here's what I've written on my methods beyond this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-does-this-brooding-set-up-look.1390862/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-bedding-is-terrifying.1392885/

Hi Kokoshka,

thank you,
rod
Hiya neighbor! Sorry, I've been busy and completely forgot to get back to you. How old are your chicks? How exciting! I usually dump a bag and a half in my 5x7 coop after a deep clean, so that's about half a foot of depth. Doesn't matter how old the birds are, I always make it deep, so it lasts longer before I have to top it off. I have some week-old hatchlings in there right bow with a broody. I thought they might sink in the bedding, because it's so deep and fluffy :lol: But they're fine. Usually it takes a couple of months before I have to add more, because the new bedding can absorb quite a bit before looking too poopy. I just stir it around occasionally so it gets mixed in. Then when stirring is no longer enough, I start adding more on top. So far I have only used pine shavings, and they work great. I just did my deep clean a couple of weeks ago. It had been 7 months. It wasn't too bad, and didn't smell, just looked very gray compared to the yellow fresh shavings. I'm still in love with this method!

I wish I could do a deep litter set up in my coop, but having a bottom entrance makes it impossible :( I can only have 3" of bedding (I use aspen shavings)

I wish I could do a deep litter set up in my coop, but having a bottom entrance makes it impossible :( I can only have 3" of bedding (I use aspen shavings)
You could cut the entrance taller at the top, put aboard across the bottom, and move the door up. Then you'll have more clearance at the bottom for deeper bedding.

This is why I built my coop with the pop door and human door way off floor level, to allow for very deep bedding.

Hiya neighbor! Sorry, I've been busy and completely forgot to get back to you. How old are your chicks? How exciting! I usually dump a bag and a half in my 5x7 coop after a deep clean, so that's about half a foot of depth. Doesn't matter how old the birds are, I always make it deep, so it lasts longer before I have to top it off. I have some week-old hatchlings in there right bow with a broody. I thought they might sink in the bedding, because it's so deep and fluffy :lol: But they're fine. Usually it takes a couple of months before I have to add more, because the new bedding can absorb quite a bit before looking too poopy. I just stir it around occasionally so it gets mixed in. Then when stirring is no longer enough, I start adding more on top. So far I have only used pine shavings, and they work great. I just did my deep clean a couple of weeks ago. It had been 7 months. It wasn't too bad, and didn't smell, just looked very gray compared to the yellow fresh shavings. I'm still in love with this method!
Hi neighbor! Good to hear from you.
our chicks are now about 5 weeks old. Plan next week to put them in the coop.
FE63BF30-26A5-4507-B30F-35523369791D.jpeg
D268885B-6C63-4005-B155-AAC05927ED77.jpeg

4 Australor, 2 Barred Rock, 2 Buff Orpington and 2 Rhode is
and Red.

when we got chicks it was suggested to use fine shavings. I assume for the deep bedding one suppose to use either course or medium size shavings. What do you use?

Mnogo hvala,

Rod

Back
Top Bottom