Pics

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I think I'm ready to buy the chicks tomorrow. The little coop is 4'x4' and I'm getting 6 or 8 depending on if they're sexed or straight run (the goal is 4 hens with 2 for a friend -- I'll eat any cockerels). Bedding is paper towels over large flake pine shavings.

I had to go down to a 40 watt regular incandescent bulb in the heat lamp but the current setup is holding between 90 and 95 at floor level on a 73-75 degree day. Nights are forecast to be in the low 70's for the next week. I *could* drop the lamp a little lower, but the 100 watt night reptile bulb I'd bought was creating 105 as high as I felt comfortable raising the lamp. I know white isn't optimal, but I figured white light all night was better than over-cooked chicks.

1593109857325.png

Nest boxes are blocked:
1593109914339.png

I'm prepared with bricks and blocks to raise the feeder and waterer up as necessary:
1593109983226.png

Have I forgotten anything?

I use a white light. It causes no problems that I see.

You may want confine the chicks tighter for a day or two depending on how old they are by putting in a short circle or wire just to keep them closer to the heat. I guess watch and see how mobile they are, and make that judgment. Probably chicks from a feed store are old enough not to worry though.

Otherwise your set up looks good to me. Is there a secondary vent for some cross ventilation?

I use a white light. It causes no problems that I see.

You may want confine the chicks tighter for a day or two depending on how old they are by putting in a short circle or wire just to keep them closer to the heat. I guess watch and see how mobile they are, and make that judgment. Probably chicks from a feed store are old enough not to worry though.

Otherwise your set up looks good to me. Is there a secondary vent for some cross ventilation?

It's got a monitor roof: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/renovating-the-little-monitor-roof-coop.1382615/

Delay!!!!

Carolina Town and Country has not gotten their shipment yet -- Late at the Post Office.

We came home to get the perishables from the other shopping into the fridge and have lunch. Then we'll call and either be able to get the ones we wanted from today's shipment or go back and pick from what they've got.

I really wanted the Delawares from today. But there are acceptable breeds available, just not the Delawares.

Did you happen to measure the temperature in the coop before you added the shade, and after? I'm curious how much difference it makes.

(It's obvious that the roof itself will be cooler, because the sun cannot shine directly on it, but I don't know how much that affects the inside temperature.)

Back
Top Bottom