Just hatched Baby Chick

jshimko

Hatching
Jan 24, 2024
My daughters class is doing a science project and hatching baby chicks. She is getting one to bring home tomorrow (Thursday). First we are only keeping this chick until the weekend and taking it to my cousins house as he has several chickens and he will raise it. We need to keepthe chick warm for a few days. I have a small wired bird cage that I will put the bedding material in along with the food and water...My issue is the heating source. I can get a brooder clam light but I am having issues with the light bulb. This will be a single chick. At a local pet store the have a day white light incandescent light that is 50 watt not sure if this will be good for the chick. I also can get a daytime heat lamp for reptiles (see below). I can get this is a 60 watt size as well. I just dont want to have too much heat for the chick but also not have enough. Any replies back ASAP will be great
1706118102398.png

Please go visit a local tractor supply/farm goods store and grab a brooder lamp w/ the red light. The white light is stressful to some birds, and I would say it being a single chick is going to be a little more stressed as it doesn't have any buddies to hang out with for the first couple of days. Also please make sure to have one side of the cage free from the bulb to let the chicken cool off as they will self regulate and need to cool down from time to time. The average temp you'd want it hovering around is 90 degrees or so and im not 100% sure what your temp is going to hover around with that bulb specifically. (some other people might be able to help you with that).

Hope this helps!

Please go visit a local tractor supply/farm goods store and grab a brooder lamp w/ the red light. The white light is stressful to some birds, and I would say it being a single chick is going to be a little more stressed as it doesn't have any buddies to hang out with for the first couple of days. Also please make sure to have one side of the cage free from the bulb to let the chicken cool off as they will self regulate and need to cool down from time to time. The average temp you'd want it hovering around is 90 degrees or so and im not 100% sure what your temp is going to hover around with that bulb specifically. (some other people might be able to help you with that).

Hope this helps!
I can get the brooder lamp at my local tractor supply store but as far as light they only have in stock a 250 w heat lamp incandescent red bulb...was worried that this would be too hot for the chick...I can also get this incandescent hight red heat bulk that is 50 watt...
1706122496210.png

Thanks...I just need something temporary as the chick will be going to a new home this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom