Heat Source.

Mel35

Chirping
Sep 23, 2023
Hey guys,

I am wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on a heat source for my brooder, I have 6 - 4 week old chicks, a 3 day old chick & eggs due to hatch in the comming weeks. Is a reptile red heat lamp acceptable or a normal red bulb or am I looking at something like a normal light bulb? Heat mats? I have no idea what to use, im currently using a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case but with more chicks coming I need something more consistent. Any tips or tricks what you guys use would be much appreciated or knowledge on the subject would also be appreciated!

Thank you 👍🏼

Depending on your ambient temperatures in the brooder, an incandescent bulb may be enough if it's fairly warm where the brooder is, otherwise a reptile bulb (depending on wattage) is probably the best bet. When you say "a normal red bulb" I assume you mean a bulb for a heat lamp? I find most bulbs intended for heat lamps to be way too hot.

Or consider a mama heating pad: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Hey guys,

I am wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on a heat source for my brooder, I have 6 - 4 week old chicks, a 3 day old chick & eggs due to hatch in the comming weeks. Is a reptile red heat lamp acceptable or a normal red bulb or am I looking at something like a normal light bulb? Heat mats? I have no idea what to use, im currently using a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case but with more chicks coming I need something more consistent. Any tips or tricks what you guys use would be much appreciated or knowledge on the subject would also be appreciated!

Thank you 👍🏼
Hi there! :D. How does the ideal heater looks to you? I would like to invite you to my thread (My story of finding and building the best heater - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-story-of-finding-and-building-the-best-heater.1612601/ ), where the ideal heater can be discussed, and I can have participant's feedback taken to the Canadian manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom