6 week old chicks, indoor temp 62, are they ready to go to the coop with night temps at 35 degrees?

MountainZack

Hatching
Apr 10, 2024
Hi all, I have 8 chicks and have been taking them outside daily (daytime temps in the mid-50s) for a few days just to get them out of the brooder to stretch out and play. I’d like to get them into the coop but am worried that they might get too cold at night? No insulation in the coop but I have hay and could put a heat lamp! If I put a heat lamp, what watt would be best? I have a 75, 100 and 150. Any ideas, thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8335.jpeg
    IMG_8335.jpeg
    977.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8334.jpeg
    IMG_8334.jpeg
    976.9 KB · Views: 27
They look fully feathered so should be fine.

If you are worried, just get one of those panel heaters like a Cozy Coop they can lean up against if they get cold. We have 3 of them for when we put chicks outside with chilly night temperatures.

What state are you in?

Welcome to BYC!!! :frow

They look fully feathered so should be fine.

If you are worried, just get one of those panel heaters like a Cozy Coop they can lean up against if they get cold. We have 3 of them for when we put chicks outside with chilly night temperatures.

What state are you in?

Welcome to BYC!!! :frow
Hi!! Thank you for the quick response. I’m in California (love it and hate it, lol). Thank you for the advice. I’ll get a heater for them right away. Wonderful suggestion. Also, my border collie has been watching them for six weeks. His name is Tucker but we now call him Nanny Noodles 😂

Hi!! Thank you for the quick response. I’m in California (love it and hate it, lol). Thank you for the advice. I’ll get a heater for them right away. Wonderful suggestion. Also, my border collie has been watching them for six weeks. His name is Tucker but we now call him Nanny Noodles 😂
That is so cool as we have a border collie that watches over our chickens too!

Nanny Noodles! Cute name.

Back
Top Bottom