Ready to go outside?

TattooedChickenPapa

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 5 and 1/2 week old Buff Orpington, Plymouth Barred Rock, Cream Legbar, and Sapphire Olive Egger that I believe are fully feathered. They've barely been getting the heat lamp and I put them outside in a little run for a couple hours everyday, usually in the early morning and early evening. I finished their coop (that I basically made Chickie Fort Knox because I'm paranoid haha) and put them in it this morning with some treats. They seem to be enjoying it and the additional space. The temps this week during the day are in the low 70's and high 60's with nights in the mid 50's to low 40's.
My question is, can I leave them outside tonight? I haven't had chicks since I was a teenager and am just paranoid haha😅 Should I put a heat source out there? They have straw in the nesting boxes, pet pine shavings in the rest of it, and 2 good roosts that they are already playing on. I think I may be overthinking but just need that re-assurance, or advice for a different kind of transition.
Thank you all in advance!

I have a 5 and 1/2 week old Buff Orpington, Plymouth Barred Rock, Cream Legbar, and Sapphire Olive Egger that I believe are fully feathered. They've barely been getting the heat lamp and I put them outside in a little run for a couple hours everyday, usually in the early morning and early evening. I finished their coop (that I basically made Chickie Fort Knox because I'm paranoid haha) and put them in it this morning with some treats. They seem to be enjoying it and the additional space. The temps this week during the day are in the low 70's and high 60's with nights in the mid 50's to low 40's.
My question is, can I leave them outside tonight? I haven't had chicks since I was a teenager and am just paranoid haha😅 Should I put a heat source out there? They have straw in the nesting boxes, pet pine shavings in the rest of it, and 2 good roosts that they are already playing on. I think I may be overthinking but just need that re-assurance, or advice for a different kind of transition.
Thank you all in advance!
For mine, i put them outside around the same age, but took the light away when they were fully feathered (it was around 8 weeks) I wanted to go longer, but it was raining so I took it away. I have the same temps as well. (Arizona weather) They were upset when I took it away, but they were fine in the morning. I wouldn’t take the light away just yet, but that’s just me.

The head and neck are the last areas to feather, but they lose a lot of heat. And you only have four birds, so I'd use some caution. When I've brooded in the winter, I lived in a much cooler area than the valley, but I'd still like to find a stretch of several days of warmer nights. Right now the nights in Phx are forecast to be 43-49, no real stretch of upper 40's, so not the best time.

Is the new chick area draft free? with a bale of straw or something to huddle next to, and a lot of bedding on the floor? How cold are they getting now without their heat lamp?

Also, the times you are letting them out are about the coldest point of day and the warmest, if it's right around sunrise (coldest) and sunset (warmest) --do they huddle much when they're out in the early morning?

For mine, i put them outside around the same age, but took the light away when they were fully feathered (it was around 8 weeks) I wanted to go longer, but it was raining so I took it away. I have the same temps as well. (Arizona weather) They were upset when I took it away, but they were fine in the morning. I wouldn’t take the light away just yet, but that’s just me.
Okay, I'm in the Phoenix area so that's good to know

The head and neck are the last areas to feather, but they lose a lot of heat. And you only have four birds, so I'd use some caution. When I've brooded in the winter, I lived in a much cooler area than the valley, but I'd still like to find a stretch of several days of warmer nights. Right now the nights in Phx are forecast to be 43-49, no real stretch of upper 40's, so not the best time.

Is the new chick area draft free? with a bale of straw or something to huddle next to, and a lot of bedding on the floor? How cold are they getting now without their heat lamp?

Also, the times you are letting them out are about the coldest point of day and the warmest, if it's right around sunrise (coldest) and sunset (warmest) --do they huddle much when they're out in the early morning?
They definitely have a warm spot, and don't really huddle early in the morning, but I might leave the best lamp out tonight just in case

They’re ready to go out for sure. Here’s my chicks at 5 weeks old. Temps drop to low 30°s at night right now and they’re doing great. Sometimes they even split into two groups of 3 on different roosts so even less body heat to snuggle up on.

Attachments

• C4213335-06FE-4577-A310-715819A917D4.jpeg
    C4213335-06FE-4577-A310-715819A917D4.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom