Please help me with recommendations for "heat lamps"

Sanderguy777

Chirping
Mar 9, 2024
First of all, I planned to do an indoor brooder box and it's about 32x22" inside.

I wanted to do an Ohio brooder, but I planned on getting a couple 40w incandescent bulbs to help keep the chicks warm.

But I read an article here that said they shouldn't have all that, and should only have a heat emitter, not a light source. I'd also rather not have a fire hazard in my house.

So I bought a heat emitter for reptiles, but I looked it up and it gets well over 200⁰f.

What alternatives are there? I know the brooder plate, but those are expensive. And the heating pads are just going to get MESSY. Are there any options that are cheap? I talked with someone that said "just keep it simple", but I feel like the possible issues the chicks get from the constant light are really bad (especially the slowing of maturity in hens).

1000005423.jpg
1000005424.jpg

Can you expand on "properly"?

Would setting in a hole on a board like I just posted cause a fire? Would I need to suspend it from the clamp and tie off the cord to make sure it CANT fall in? (I mean clamp the cord with a zip tie or something, not with a c-clamp or something LOL)
I wouldn't do a hole in a board but the heat bulb housing that feed store sell. The clamps are sturdy and if there's any question, wire is a good binder

I wouldn't do a hole in a board but the heat bulb housing that feed store sell. The clamps are sturdy and if there's any question, wire is a good binder
Thanks! That's what I was originally planning, but I liked the Ohio brooder so much, I wanted to do something like that.

We use 150 watt in a UL approved holder. For that small of a brooder it may be okay size-wise if you put it in one corner, and the food/water in the other.

We have an Inkbird thermostat too which helps regulate.View attachment 3767732
Oh, good idea with the thermostat!

I don't have electricity outside, so I have to have something that fits through doors and that I can move, otherwise I'd have them outside.

https://www.plamondon.com/wp/build-200-chick-brooder-two-hours-20/

This is the guide I found. Essentially an inverted box with 2 lamps. The issue is it would have to be larger than I want for my setup, which is why I was thinking of the little corner box I have in my brooder now.

The issue is whether the emitter will be too hot to be within a few inches of the wood.

Back
Top Bottom