How well does this heating plate handle colder ambient temperatures? Should I get a lamp?

Sam Houston

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heating-plates-and-covers

I purchased this heating plate to be used with my first set of chicks. So far, it has worked great, but we have only had them for 5 days total. The temperature at the edges is around 85-90 degrees so I assume the interior is around the perfect temp. At night, I put towels over their stock tank brooder to keep the heat in as it has been reaching temperatures of around 50 degrees F here. When I measure the temperature of the brooder outside of the heat plate at night I see they are around 60-65 degrees F. In the next few days, we will be hitting temperatures of 30 degrees F at night. Will the chickens be safe under the heating plate at these temperatures? I have seen some concerns about heating plates only operating correctly over 50 degrees F ambient temperature, but I see no such warning for this heating plate.

If there's no instructions on keeping a specific ambient temperature, then it should keep on working just fine. If you're not sure, or just to be on safe side, you may want to have a heat lamp on hand to help warm the ambient temperature to around 50 to ensure the plate keeps working optimally.

I purchased this heating plate to be used with my first set of chicks. So far, it has worked great, but we have only had them for 5 days total. The temperature at the edges is around 85-90 degrees so I assume the interior is around the perfect temp. At night, I put towels over their stock tank brooder to keep the heat in as it has been reaching temperatures of around 50 degrees F here. When I measure the temperature of the brooder outside of the heat plate at night I see they are around 60-65 degrees F. In the next few days, we will be hitting temperatures of 30 degrees F at night. Will the chickens be safe under the heating plate at these temperatures? I have seen some concerns about heating plates only operating correctly over 50 degrees F ambient temperature, but I see no such warning for this heating plate.
I put a box over plate with opening on end to make like it’s a lil coop 😂. I also use a thermostat that attaches to plate to turn on and off to temp works great!

I've been facing similar concerns recently. I lost my polish chick recently and think it was because the ambient temperature got too low. I like what @BiggDeal did with the cardboard box. My brooder is a big Rubbermaid with a 1sqft hole cut in the lid. I ended up placing the Rubbermaid on a piece of insulation. I also put a seed germination mat above the insulation/under the the brooder plate area. Hopefully i don't lose anymore!!

I use plate and have never had a problem I use a auto thermostat which keeps it at temp and just to be sure I put a box with a lil door cut out over top of plate when outside and it stays toasty warm in there …. If your that concerned put the plate to heat with a auto thermostat instead of brooder it will stay plenty warm we have two settings on ours we also use plate that is hung on wall when extremely cold out and use to keep cool at 40-45 to make sure it doesn’t get to cold …. It will only go on if temp drops below 40….

I've been facing similar concerns recently. I lost my polish chick recently and think it was because the ambient temperature got too low. I like what @BiggDeal did with the cardboard box. My brooder is a big Rubbermaid with a 1sqft hole cut in the lid. I ended up placing the Rubbermaid on a piece of insulation. I also put a seed germination mat above the insulation/under the the brooder plate area. Hopefully i don't lose anymore!!
How old was the polish? Honestly a lot of chicks don’t make it for failure to survive especially if young. Li hear people all the time with lamps or plates that lose a chick I’ve been lucky ( thank goodness) but even when my temps were not at 95 I had no problem … generally if a hearty chick even if temp is off some they are ok … mine actually thrived at 85. I know this because even though we had a spot for 95 under plate and thermometer we had one under and one on cool side mine tended to hang on cool side after about 3-4 days anyway and they were always happy lil chatty chicks

Back
Top Bottom