How Does This Brooding Set-up Look?

Did you happen to measure the temperature in the coop before you added the shade, and after? I'm curious how much difference it makes.

(It's obvious that the roof itself will be cooler, because the sun cannot shine directly on it, but I don't know how much that affects the inside temperature.)

No, I didn't have the thermometer then -- I bought it and the picnic fly on the same shopping trip.

But I can say that before I put up the fly it was slightly warmer when I had my head and shoulders in there in the sun than it was outside and afterward it was the same.

We have them!

1593209518837.png

To be honest I like my chicks available to over 100 degrees directly under my lights. They often go there for a quick heat fill up and then go mingle in other areas, especially when they’re a couple day’s old. After drinking the water they get a little chilly!

About 95. The chicks are moving all over the coop exploring things, sitting under the lamp for a few minutes, then going back to their exploring.

I'll lower the lamp after dark when the temperature falls.
Good luck with your cute little guys!!

Good luck with your cute little guys!!

Cute little gals, I hope. 😉 😁

I was amazed to see them all eating and drinking within 10 minutes of unboxing. I'd been worried about them finding the food and water and about them getting to the heat.

They scarfed down food and water then, lead by a bold California White, headed out to discover the limits of their world.

What breeds did you get?

Two Light Brahma, two Blue Australorp, two California White, and two "Assorted Wyandottes". I tried to pick out Silver-Laced with the help of the knowledgeable clerk, but realized when they finally stopped moving so fast after a few hours that they didn't match. One has a silver stripe down the middle of it's back and the other has a black stripe in the middle.

two "Assorted Wyandottes". I tried to pick out Silver-Laced with the help of the knowledgeable clerk, but realized when they finally stopped moving so fast after a few hours that they didn't match. One has a silver stripe down the middle of it's back and the other has a black stripe in the middle.

They're both cute! I think Wyandottes can come in Silver Pencilled and in Columbian, so maybe one of those?

Or maybe they are both silver laced, and just don't match anyway. I've seen some chicks that were the same breed and color, but did have somewhat different striping as babies.

Back
Top Bottom