How Does This Brooding Set-up Look?

Anything over 90 degrees can cause heat exhaustion. They cannot regulate their own body temperature until around 2 weeks. I would not run a heat lamp at temperatures over 85. Sorry you lost one.

All the beginner articles say 95 for the first week. The brooder is large enough for them to easily get away from excess heat.

I've had the heat lamp unplugged all afternoon while it was 90 out but a storm front just came through so I plugged it back in -- on a medium height -- just before the winds hit. I'm sure I'll have to adjust the height after this little storm blows through. I've got a thermometer directly underneath it and am checking it frequently.

It was cute when I opened up -- the darkness ahead of the storm had convinced them to gather into a cuddle and start going to sleep.

So sorry to hear that you lost a little one. Have you put any thing like electrolytes in their water? Especially with shipped chicks that have been delayed & stressed, it could not hurt to use something like Save a chick.

I've always done 85-90 personally, but use I their behaviors to set the final height.

I've been checking them every couple hours and adjusting the light up and down (I'm up for the bathroom in the middle of the night so it's no trouble.

I think that the brooder plates must be much easier to manage with 20-30 degree ambient temperature swings. I put one on my Amazon Christmas list.

I've been checking them every couple hours and adjusting the light up and down (I'm up for the bathroom in the middle of the night so it's no trouble.

I think that the brooder plates must be much easier to manage with 20-30 degree ambient temperature swings. I put one on my Amazon Christmas list.
I makes it more difficult for you because your enclosed and smaller brooding area might make it so that they can not get far enough away from the heat. The first couple of days are the most critical, once they are over a week old you can relax more. I used to use a 2 car garage with a "cardboard corral" of opened boxes that were easy to expand as they get bigger. I was in the CA desert, 40 degree temp difference between night and day, and you could see the circle of little birds expand and contract with the temp. I could just adjust the height of the light for the coldest time of the night and leave it there for a week until I raised it as they got older. Now, I am using a small 8x10 shed and it gets too hot during the day for my peace of mind. I like your shade idea. you could switch your birds to the heating pad method that lots of people on here use. Go to the search box and enter, "momma heating pad" I believe is the title to a good discussion.

I makes it more difficult for you because your enclosed and smaller brooding area might make ...
Go to the search box and enter, "momma heating pad" I believe is the title to a good discussion.

4'x4' doesn't seem small to me compared to all those photos of chicks in a plastic tub, but having a nice barn stall would certainly be an excellent arrangement.

I'll keep messing with the light rather investing more money in something different this time. It will only be a couple weeks until they won't need heat at all in NC summer temps (we'll have a few "cool"days later this week where it won't break 90).

4'x4' doesn't seem small to me compared to all those photos of chicks in a plastic tub, but having a nice barn stall would certainly be an excellent arrangement.

I'll keep messing with the light rather investing more money in something different this time. It will only be a couple weeks until they won't need heat at all in NC summer temps (we'll have a few "cool"days later this week where it won't break 90).
Actually they do not need the floor space as much as the room for that heat to dissipate so that they have a cool side and a warm side and can choose where to be. Like what if you could open up the roof on only one side?

Actually they do not need the floor space as much as the room for that heat to dissipate so that they have a cool side and a warm side and can choose where to be. Like what if you could open up the roof on only one side?

My roof is open on both sides. :)

1593463623419.png

I have the heat lamp in the corner by the nestboxes (which are blocked off). There is plenty of airflow on the side near access door since I added the extra ventilation window.

Back
Top Bottom