Looking for feedback on brooding chicks

Kat2331

Hatching
Apr 2, 2024
IMG_3590.png
IMG_3592.png
We just got chicks, some are about 3- 4 weeks old others are about one week. Several different breeds and unsure of which breeds they are other than my Easter eggers. In the heat of the day temps about 75 I let them run in the open area for an hour or two and I’m trying to brood them outdoors. I did place a secured heat lamp in the stock tank and secured plastic totes to the top covered with a drop cloth. I ensured the plastic and the cloth don’t get too hot and I believe under the heat lamp the temps are around 95 and the other end is cooler. Is this sufficient? I’m so worried it’s not enough. I had the smaller ones inside for a few nights but the smell was very bothersome to my daughter.
IMG_3581.jpeg

Since you have a large stock tank as the brooder it should be fine to have one end hotter since it allows the chicks to adjust how much heat they're getting, though 90F should be plenty at this point.

What are the plastic totes for? I don't see them in the photo. Are those "lids?" If so, you still need open ventilation in a brooder, so I'd go for wire mesh or something that's far more breathable.

Since you have a large stock tank as the brooder it should be fine to have one end hotter since it allows the chicks to adjust how much heat they're getting, though 90F should be plenty at this point.

What are the plastic totes for? I don't see them in the photo. Are those "lids?" If so, you still need open ventilation in a brooder, so I'd go for wire mesh or something that's far more breathable.
Yes I was using a Lid at night because it was about 45 degrees last night. I keep it open to the air during the day as long as the weather is nice

Yes I was using a Lid at night because it was about 45 degrees last night. I keep it open to the air during the day as long as the weather is nice
As long as wind isn't blowing right into the brooder an all solid lid shouldn't be necessary. Maybe to protect the heat bulb from the elements, but the other side can be left as open wire mesh as they still need good ventilation at night.

Back
Top Bottom