Power outage steps for week old chicks!!! Tips and also looking for suggestions!!

MamaChick20

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2024
Lafayette, Georgia
Hey Yall!! I’m new to group and a new chicken tender!! I have 4 babies (2f and 2m) and they are all about a couple of days old to a week. I got them yesterday so I mean like brand spanking new at this 😅 A couple of minutes ago we had a power outage and I just wanted to come on here and share some tips especially for someone who has anxiety when it comes to your babies and has no clue where to even start to warm your babies. Also I am more than open to have some other ideas to keep baby chicks warm during a power outage or even in general!

‼️ I am not a professional, I just wanted to share my ideas and some research with people who also are new and have anxiety over their babies during a power outage ‼️

Usually power outages last to 20 minutes (where I live) but I was so anxious and worried about them getting too cold right away or anything happening to them if their heat lamp is off. I’ve heard that it’s perfect for week old babies to not have a breeze coming into their brooder so they can get all the heat they can get! ( Also! week old chicks don’t have their feathers so it is a must to keep them extra warm until they are ready to put in the coop and can regulate body heat themselves) For their heat I have a heat lamp. It should at least be 95 degrees for the first week, but since it’s a power outage I put two large ziplocks bags full of warm to semi hot tap water with a towel over the bags so my babies don’t break them. It is super important to keep your chicks warm especially when they are a week old cause they can all different problems in just a day. Oh! i thought you couldn’t do this but it’s perfectly fine if you put two blanket ontop of the brooder until the power is back on! That a way the chicks can still get some heat that was left from the lamp! I would definitely wait five minutes before taking the blankets off after the power comes back on so your babies can get their heat fast!

I’m not gonna lie, it was a VERY stressful first day of taking care of my babies especially if I only have so much knowledge of them and my luck we had a thunderstorm the second day I have them 😂😤🙃 thanks Mother Nature you really testing me on if I can REALLY take care of my babies 😂😂

( fyi they are all happy and not chirping so much so I’m guessing it’s a good sign that I’m doing something right 😂)

Oh forgot to mention that if you are worried that the blanket will catch on fire, it will not if you leave for like a couple of minutes to five minutes ( I did 5 minutes and nothing has happened to me or my babies :) ) no more than five minutes though or you may have some problems like catching the blanket on fire 🙃

This happened to me too! 2nd day with 4, 5 day's old. The thing is, I've never ever followed the *95 excessive heat recommendations. But that being said, the first day that I get them I DO provide a heat lamp between 80-90 and a MHP to get those vitals stable and brooder dry. I then over the course of a week take the heat lamp away completely. So on day 2 it just was not time for them to experience *30 or even *50 (the ambient temp started heading down quickly.) I never know how long the power will be out. SO.... generator. But it's a small one, I had to choose between 2 of 3 heat sources. So I chose the wall heat (in my she shed,) to keep the room at *70 and the MHP. Power came back on the next day, they were fine. Honestly it makes the case for the first thing I said, they really do not need those excessive temps! I really appreciate your method, I'm going to do that for sure if there is a next time. THANKS.

chicks6.PNG

This happened to me too! 2nd day with 4, 5 day's old. The thing is, I've never ever followed the *95 excessive heat recommendations. But that being said, the first day that I get them I DO provide a heat lamp between 80-90 and a MHP to get those vitals stable and brooder dry. I then over the course of a week take the heat lamp away completely. So on day 2 it just was not time for them to experience *30 or even *50 (the ambient temp started heading down quickly.) I never know how long the power will be out. SO.... generator. But it's a small one, I had to choose between 2 of 3 heat sources. So I chose the wall heat (in my she shed,) to keep the room at *70 and the MHP. Power came back on the next day, they were fine. Honestly it makes the case for the first thing I said, they really do not need those excessive temps! I really appreciate your method, I'm going to do that for sure if there is a next time. THANKS.

View attachment 3772635
Ofc! And I definitely need to get me a back up generator 😭 that would’ve been so much help! your babies are beautiful btw ♥️♥️

Back
Top Bottom