Infrared lamp temp 85F ?

menchelke

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
Golden Valley Arizona 86413
Basically should I consider the heating affect on the chicks via infrared, or just consider the air temp the probe is sending?

So previously when I brooded chicks, I didn't pay no heed to temps, etc, I just set up the lamp, and left it as is.

I used to use the red heat bulbs, but I now have 150w infrared reptile bulb. I have a thermostat electrical outlet with a temp sensor probe about 3 inches from the bottom of the brood box.

The thermostat is reading 85f on the probe that I taped the cord to side of the plastic tote.

I take it, that's the actual temp that probe is at, and I would guess that the infrared would directly heat the chicks, and 85f would be ok?

Or do I really need to get the thermostat reading 95f for that first week (ideally)?

Basically should I consider the heating affect on the chicks via infrared, or just consider the air temp the probe is sending?

I use a reptile bulb for brooding chicks, it puts out no light. I put it in a clamp light fixture. They have to get right under it to be warm. But this mimics mama hen. The rest of the brooder is ambient temp, and it worked out fine for several batches of chicks. I love these bulbs. chicks.jpg

This is what I’m calling a reptile bulb, aka a ceramic heat emitter. Is this what you have? And I use 75 watt for my small broods of up to
6 chicks.
IMG_2765.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom