5 week old chicks not enough space!

jolly wattles

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
West Tennessee
We were unexpectedly awarded chicks by one of our broody hens on Thanksgiving. They are now 5 weeks old. We weren't setup to brood chicks so we quickly went to lowes and got a 75 gallon container and heat lamp.
They are now quite crowded in the container. Only problem is temps outside are highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s. And it's only December. What should we do?
I have a attached closed in carport that stays somewhat warmer than outside. Should I setup a little fence in there with a heat lamp? It's concrete floors tho.

We were unexpectedly awarded chicks by one of our broody hens on Thanksgiving. They are now 5 weeks old. We weren't setup to brood chicks so we quickly went to lowes and got a 75 gallon container and heat lamp.
They are now quite crowded in the container. Only problem is temps outside are highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s. And it's only December. What should we do?
I have a attached closed in carport that stays somewhat warmer than outside. Should I setup a little fence in there with a heat lamp? It's concrete floors tho.
Is it possible to build a brooder? The only reason that I'm not thinking to setup a fence with a heat lamp in the coop is because heat lamps can cause coop fires and could cause more problems then they are worth.

I would put cardboard down on the concrete floor. Have some type of safe heat in place. If using a heat lamp make sure it is securely mounted several ways and keep it clean of dust.
We have a heat lamp that is chained to a hook and then wired to another hook. And the electric cord is also securely attached to a secure wall or ceiling.
Make sure they have wind block with tarp or plastic. But with a momma hen they should be just fine she will keep them warm.

I would put cardboard down on the concrete floor. Have some type of safe heat in place. If using a heat lamp make sure it is securely mounted several ways and keep it clean of dust.
We have a heat lamp that is chained to a hook and then wired to another hook. And the electric cord is also securely attached to a secure wall or ceiling.
Make sure they have wind block with tarp or plastic. But with a momma hen they should be just fine she will keep them warm.
They don't have a momma hen. And they're too big for her anyways.

It sounds like your only choice is to make them a pen in the carport. You could cover the concrete with a tarp, then lay down wood chips or pellets or whatever bedding on top of that. They are nearing 5 weeks old so depending on the breed and weather, they may not need heat for too much longer.

If the chicks are fully feathered they will be able to handle the cold weather. Just block the wind from coming in the carport. And provide tree branch or build a roost bar so they don't sleep on the floor. 1 to 2 feet off the ground is good.

Great advice from the others. IF you’re still concerned about heat, radiant heaters are good. I think, a safer heat option too. That way, they’re acclimating but can also cozy up next to a heater when they need it. I use flat-panel coop (radiant) heaters for my buildings, that I put on the low setting (because I think that’s warm enough) for extreme weather temps. Good wishes for your chicks! They’re going to be fine. 😊

Back
Top Bottom