First night in the coop

It takes just one drop of water to cause the bulb to literally explode.

My vote is to keep the lamp inside the coop and very securely attached if you do put them out.

A better option is to make a bigger brooder inside the house, a garage or a shed.
I'm going to start having nightmares about this hear lamp 😭. I'm going to buy a brooder instead

Have you seen the article about making a cave with a heating pad? I haven't tried it but it seems like a good plan to me ill see if i can find the article and put a link here.
I've read about them, and it seemed like there were some opinions that they weren't the best because they would heat the whole floor and not allow chicks a place to get away from the heat. Idk if they came in different sizes for this reason or not

Put a thermometer in the coop. Last spring I put chicks out mid April that were 6 weeks old with a reptile heat bulb, my thermometer keeps low and high temps and some nights still went below freezing. They all survived but I felt bad for them.
I think our below freezing Temps might be over thankfully. But we still we get high 30s/40s Temps for a couple weeks more I think.

I'm going to start having nightmares about this hear lamp 😭. I'm going to buy a brooder instead

I still use a red lamp. My coop is quite large so I hang mine by chain.

The mama heating pad isn't one that heats the floor. It's a tunnel they go under as if it were mama hen. It doesn't heat the whole space at all.
The trick is finding a heating pad (just like a human would use) that doesn't shut off after a certain amount of time.

The mama heating pad isn't one that heats the floor. It's a tunnel they go under as if it were mama hen. It doesn't heat the whole space at all.
The trick is finding a heating pad (just like a human would use) that doesn't shut off after a certain amount of time.
Once I figure out the heating situation, should I put their food and water inside the coop with them? Or does it stay in the run and they get it when they leave the coop in the morning?

Once I figure out the heating situation, should I put their food and water inside the coop with them? Or does it stay in the run and they get it when they leave the coop in the morning?

That depends.
Some aren't very good at going in and out at first.

I would have it in both places until they navigate the ramp like a pro.

The trick is finding a heating pad (just like a human would use) that doesn't shut off after a certain amount of ti

That depends.
Some aren't very good at going in and out at first.

I would have it in both places until they navigate the ramp like a pro.
Got it! That's very helpful

Back
Top Bottom