Deep litter and potato tower

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Donner, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Donner

Donner Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    My chickens live in a big coop on dirt that I started with several bales of pine shavings about 4 years ago and have been adding shavings with minimal removal until this December when I scraped the top inch or so off to the side and dug out about 10 wheel barrows to top off my garden beds. That barely put a dent in the accumulated litter.

I want to do a potato tower this year. I would like to use my litter for the potato tower and I think it will be OK having sat there for several years and mixed with the wood shouldn't be "hot". Is there something I am missing?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I would be concerned about the transmission of pathogens. The potatoes would be growing directly in the medium.

I hot compost mine, or till it in directly, and then mulch the bed to prevent it getting splashed back up on the plants.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I believe the rule of thumb is 90 days between manure application and harvest of crops for safety regarding pathogens. I'd be concerned that the straight compost would be too rich for your potato tower. Potatoes are heavy feeders, but I bet that stuff is pretty potent! Perhaps mix it 1:4 with garden soil?

4. Donner

Donner Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Issaquah, WA

It is probably less potent than you think. Wood reduces the nitrogen content and I am digging out lower level compost that has been there for 1-4 years.

So, I am thinking it is worth the experiment because it would be nice to us my free dirt instead of buying it.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Please keep us posted. I'm hoping that you have a bumper crop.

6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by